Thought question about AC 23-27 & 3D printers

Hey All,

I have a 62 C and my current annual is delayed waiting for a part with a 9 week lead time.  A buddy of mine (not a pilot/airplane owner) reminded me that I have access, through him, to a metal 3D printer.  I know of 3d printers but not much else.  Has anyone ever created their own parts via a 3d printer and used AC 23-27 as their basis for doing so?  I would imagine that there would be a lot more involved but if they can make rocket engines via 3d printers these days....  

3 hours ago, Nstarbf said:

Hey All,

I have a 62 C and my current annual is delayed waiting for a part with a 9 week lead time.  A buddy of mine (not a pilot/airplane owner) reminded me that I have access, through him, to a metal 3D printer.  I know of 3d printers but not much else.  Has anyone ever created their own parts via a 3d printer and used AC 23-27 as their basis for doing so?  I would imagine that there would be a lot more involved but if they can make rocket engines via 3d printers these days....  

What kind of metal 3-D printer is that?

It depends on the geometry, size, material, etc. of the part whether or not it should be 3-D printed, and on how much post-processing it will require.  Usually, it is much, much more expensive than machining.  If the part can be made from polymer, different story.

I don't know much about 3-D printing, but I would be concerned about manufacturing a part where I cannot duplicate the specific metal alloy used and/or any post-fabrication heat treatment applied in the manufacture of the OEM part. 

• Like 1

+1 that a decent machine shop could make that pretty easily.    If you 3D print with metal I'd make two, and test one to destruction or failure (twist it).   If it fails with a reasonable safety margin, which I suspect it would, that's pretty good data for OOP.   

1 hour ago, Aviationist said:

Don’t let Mooney or LASAR find out you had a machine shop do it. They will create a whole lot of drama and try to ground and quarantine it just like the down lock blocks. 

even though you can’t get it anywhere. 

Every day for reasons like this post I’m glad I didn’t end up with a Mooney. 

I bet there are a lot of parts out there that would cause someone somewhere heartburn. Personally, I like the ingenuity of many on this forum. I just wish I had more of it!

• Like 1

I attended our MSC's 40th anniversary party the other day. I asked him about getting Mooney parts. He said it isn't a problem. He just calls them and they make it. He said it cost a bit more than it used to and takes a bit longer, but it hasn't caused him any issues. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I would just have a machine shop make that. Actually, I would just make that myself in my friends garage. He has a mill and a lathe.

I agree, a machine shop could knock that out pretty quickly and it would probably cost less than Lasar wants for it. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 1:36 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I attended our MSC's 40th anniversary party the other day. I asked him about getting Mooney parts. He said it isn't a problem. He just calls them and they make it. He said it cost a bit more than it used to and takes a bit longer, but it hasn't caused him any issues. 

That's odd. About a month ago, I was looking for a part. I went to Lasar who didn't have it and they contacted the factory who said they don't have it and won't make it. I thought I read other stories of the same. 

In any case, what MSC is that? Clearly they have the magic touch.

Always looking for a good contact.

Thanks in advance for the help.

William

2 minutes ago, WilliamR said:

That's odd. About a month ago, I was looking for a part. I went to Lasar who didn't have it and they contacted the factory who said they don't have it and won't make it. I thought I read other stories of the same. 

In any case, what MSC is that? Clearly they have the magic touch.

Always looking for a good contact.

Thanks in advance for the help.

William

https://chandleraviation.com/

What it a part that Mooney actually made all along?

A lot of parts are made by someone else and just resold by Mooney.  They have never had the capability to make those.  Things like throttle cables, landing gear acutuator, master cylinders, etc, etc.