Speed Brakes on “auto” deployment

First…. Thanks for all the help with my free spinning trim wheel. A+P will be looking at it this weekend. Thinks it might just be a broken roll pin in the sprocket/gear. If so, easy fix. 

Moving on, I have electric speed brakes. Yesterday they deployed twice without me touching the button.  They deployed completely on their own.  I pulled the circuit breaker so they are now deactivated.  Any thoughts on what might cause them to self-deploy?   Maybe a faulty switch?  

I have a speed brake switch on the left yoke horn and I found that is is pretty easy to brush against it if I reach around the left side of the yoke. It's a pretty sensitive button and haven't even felt it when I've bumped it. Usually I do this when doing something on the ground and don't notice the brakes deployed until I turn of the master and hear the loud CLUNK.

Regarding the trim -- a sheared roll pin would do it. The interesting question though is how it would have been sheared. The GFC 500 trim servo doesn't have nearly enough torque to do it -- it would have to have been sheared by forcing the trim wheel. Does your trim have the modified jam proof stepped stop nuts? If not, it's possible the installer jammed it when working on the GFC 500 install and damaged the roll pin when breaking it free.

Here's a link to the service instruction https://www.mooney.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/SIM20-88A.pdf

• Like 2

Update, the belly pan came off and the chain was sitting there with the connector link missing its retainer lock thingie. With the help of this group I was able to find a replacement connector link on Amazon. I showed it to my mechanic and he said that will work perfectly. I got four of them for five dollars. It has to be the cheapest aircraft part I’ve ever bought. I have three now available for sale at $250 each if anybody needs one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Glen Davis said:

Update, the belly pan came off and the chain was sitting there with the connector link missing its retainer lock thingie. With the help of this group I was able to find a replacement connector link on Amazon. I showed it to my mechanic and he said that will work perfectly. I got four of them for five dollars. It has to be the cheapest aircraft part I’ve ever bought. I have three now available for sale at $250 each if anybody needs one. 

Does the link come with the appropriate STC paperwork?

20 hours ago, jlunseth said:

Also, I have caught myself reflexively hitting that button in order to transmit. They are close together, feel the same, and in turbulence it is a possibility.

BT, DT Also