External Power for an E model

14 minutes ago, 65MooneyPilot said:

Does anyone know of an STC for external power for an E model. I looked at the K model IPC and it looks like it attaches to the Battery box lid. Does that mean you have to disconnect it to remove the main battery? Thanks

Some M20Ks have the GPU port in the side of the fuselage.

Does anyone know of an STC for external power for an E model. I looked at the K model IPC and it looks like it attaches to the Battery box lid. Does that mean you have to disconnect it to remove the main battery? Thanks

No, since it’s mounted on the battery box lid but not connected to anything else, it’s not in the way of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, kortopates said:

No, since it’s mounted on the battery box lid but not connected to anything else, it’s not in the way of anything.

So you make the wires long enough to set it off to the side while taking the battery out. Wondering if anyone has a picture to look at. It would be greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, 65MooneyPilot said:

So you make the wires long enough to set it off to the side while taking the battery out. Wondering if anyone has a picture to look at. It would be greatly appreciated. 

I thought the external power was a factory option….at least I think mine was.  Does this picture help…. Doesn’t capture everything, but you can see it is simply mounted on the battery cover.

8DB748E1-682D-4594-AC05-D7C93BFBF013.jpeg

6 hours ago, 65MooneyPilot said:

In the IPC I have it is not in there. If you could send me a copy of that page I would appreciate it. Thanks

Still looking…. If memory serves its in an odd place in the manual

Edited by RLCarter

I was thinking that Mooney offered the external power in later models so this is great info. I suppose I will just have to find the factory drawing and the parts to install. 

Just find a salvage battery box on ebay or one from of the many salvage folks. You don’t want to try and source new parts; especially pay new prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk