Predator in General Aviation News

Bolter

https://generalaviationnews.com/2023/09/26/maintenance-error-leads-to-in-flight-oil-leak/

The article series scrubs details to provide some anonymity, but I am not sure that works well when they cite an airplane model made in quantity 1.   I suspect this report is from many years ago, despite the recent publication in this article.  

-dan

The article references the ACN number which you can look up on ASRS.

It's from April of this year.

ACN: 1990965 (1 of 1)

Time / Day

Date : 202304
Local Time Of Day : 1201-1800

Place

Locale Reference.ATC Facility : ZZZ.ARTCC
State Reference : US
Relative Position.Angle.Radial : 90
Relative Position.Distance.Nautical Miles : 21

Environment

Flight Conditions : VMC
Weather Elements / Visibility.Visibility : 100
Light : Daylight

Aircraft

Reference : X
ATC / Advisory.Center : ZZZ
Aircraft Operator : Personal
Make Model Name : M-20 T Predator
Crew Size.Number Of Crew : 1
Operating Under FAR Part : Part 91
Flight Plan : IFR
Mission : Personal
Flight Phase : Cruise
Route In Use : Direct
Airspace.Class E : ZZZ

Component : 1

Aircraft Component : Powerplant Lubrication System
Aircraft Reference : X
Problem : Malfunctioning

Component : 2

Aircraft Component : Reciprocating Engine Assembly

Component : 3

Aircraft Component : Cylinder
Problem : Improperly Operated

Person

Location Of Person.Aircraft : X
Location In Aircraft : Flight Deck
Reporter Organization : Personal
Function.Flight Crew : Pilot Flying
Function.Flight Crew : Single Pilot
Qualification.Flight Crew : Air Transport Pilot (ATP)
Qualification.Flight Crew : Multiengine
Qualification.Flight Crew : Instrument
Experience.Flight Crew.Total : 5346
Experience.Flight Crew.Last 90 Days : 18
Experience.Flight Crew.Type : 1737
ASRS Report Number.Accession Number : 1990965
Human Factors : Troubleshooting

Events

Anomaly.Aircraft Equipment Problem : Critical
Anomaly.Deviation / Discrepancy - Procedural : Maintenance
Anomaly.Deviation / Discrepancy - Procedural : Clearance
Anomaly.Deviation / Discrepancy - Procedural : Published Material / Policy
Detector.Automation : Aircraft Other Automation
Detector.Person : Flight Crew
Were Passengers Involved In Event : N
When Detected : In-flight
Result.General : Maintenance Action
Result.Flight Crew : Diverted
Result.Flight Crew : Requested ATC Assistance / Clarification
Result.Flight Crew : Landed in Emergency Condition
Result.Air Traffic Control : Provided Assistance

Assessments

Contributing Factors / Situations : Aircraft
Primary Problem : Aircraft

Narrative: 1

I was VFR on-top on an IFR flight plan from ZZZ direct to ZZZ1. My airplane had two cylinders replaced at an aircraft maintenance shop about 5 tachometer hours previously. The engine oil level was measured normal (7 quarts) before the flight. At about the ZZZ state line, I noticed fluctuations of the engine oil pressure indication. This was concerning, so I made a 180 turn and informed ATC that I was returning to my departure airport. I then observed the oil pressure gradually decrease toward the red line. I determined that ZZZ2 was the closest airport, and informed ATC that I was diverting there. Fortunately my engine kept running without high temperatures and I landed at ZZZ2 safely. Exiting the airplane, I saw a lot of oil behind the left side of the cowling. After calling flight service to inform ATC of my landing, I contacted a local mechanic, and removed the engine cowling. The mechanic found loose rocker-cover screws on the recently-replaced cylinders, one of which was missing the exhaust valve rocker cover, causing an oil leak. Only a small quantity of oil remained in the engine. Obviously, more careful torque-checking of the screws by the mechanics should have been done. I was very lucky to have made the airport before oil starvation and engine seizure, which could have occurred minutes later. In retrospect, I should have immediately diverted to the nearest airport at the first indication of an anomalous oil pressure reading, instead of several minutes later. My current awareness of how this incident could have ended badly will shorten this response time, should i be unfortunate enough to have a similar experience again.

Synopsis

Mooney M20 pilot reported a loss of oil pressure during cruise and the need to divert to a nearby airport for landing. Upon inspection, it was discovered a missing rocker cover caused an oil leak and only a small amount of oil remained in the engine.

15 hours ago, Bolter said:

https://generalaviationnews.com/2023/09/26/maintenance-error-leads-to-in-flight-oil-leak/

The article series scrubs details to provide some anonymity, but I am not sure that works well when they cite an airplane model made in quantity 1.   I suspect this report is from many years ago, despite the recent publication in this article.  

-dan

I'll bet a nickel the original aircraft "model" was chosen from the M20P or M20T list meaning it's turbocharged, but you have no idea what the model is.  Then M20T from the list of Mooney models (M20A, M20B, M20C, etc.) was translated to "Predator".  Typical 21st-century journalism.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

I'll bet a nickel the original aircraft "model" was chosen from the M20P or M20T list meaning it's turbocharged, but you have no idea what the model is.  Then M20T from the list of Mooney models (M20A, M20B, M20C, etc.) was translated to "Predator".  Typical 21st-century journalism.

Although the knee-jerk reaction is to ridicule and blame the news media, "journalism" didn't have anything to do with it.   Perhaps you didn't closely read @smwash02 's post above.   He copied the the exact data entry that appears in the FAA Aviation Safety Reporting System (ASRS).  The FAA intentionally "obscured/disguised" some of the identifiable information, which was self-reported by the pilot.

The fourth line under "Aircraft" says

• Make Model Name : M-20 T Predator