m20R leaking door seal

Lee Yeilding

I have a 2000 M20R and the door seal is dry rotted on the side and compressed on the top side where it leaks water in the cabin.  is there a generic seal or factory OEM seal that can be procured by the foot or set package length that I can use to replace?  What is the best process for removing old seal; heat, razor or exact knife or both, best chemical for removing old adhesive?  is the yellow 3M gasket and weather seal adhesive the best to use for re-installation?  Is there a video to show process?

Mooney uses a Brown Aircraft T-9088 P seal. https://www.brownaircraft.com/aircraft-door-seals-s/59.htm

Pull the old seal off the door. Scrape any remaining seal off with a plastic scraper. Use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner in the spray can to soak the old glue. Let it sit awhile to soften then use a rag to rub it off. Takes a lot of repetition and elbow grease especially if someone used too much glue before.

Glue it back on with 3M yellow super weatherstrip and gasket adhesive applied to both surfaces and assembled when tacky. It will allow repositioning for a few minutes if you need to adjust the seal position. After application, close the door and let it sit overnight. It will seem tight at first, but the seal will eventually mold itself into the shape of the space between the frame and the door.

The trickiest part is positioning the seal correctly. The center of the round part of the seal should lay on the door rivet line, NOT in the radius of the door edge. The bottom edge is tricky because the frame and door radii don't exactly match. I took out the right front seat and laid down inside so I could see along the bottom edge and closed the door without the seal in place and marked where the frame hits the door with a sharpie and then placed the seal outside that line so it would be compressed between the door and the frame.

Skip

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PT20J said:

Mooney uses a Brown Aircraft T-9088 P seal. https://www.brownaircraft.com/aircraft-door-seals-s/59.htm

And you know this must be the right stuff when one of the reviews given, albeit in 2012, on the website was from Brian Kendrick (Modern Mooney Guru).:D

On my C model, I use this Mooney Cabin Entry Door Seal. Mooney 3117-1, 912018-1, 912018-001, BA-189-139 (knots2u.net)

It also says it will work for an M20R but not sure.  It does seal well on my C model (I know, I know, it is not an R) but is a little more expensive than the stuff that @PT20J mentioned.

They also sell an adhesive remover, Adhesive Remover from Knots 2U, that works pretty well but do not let it sit unused for a long time even if unopened because it will dry up.

And they also sell the adhesive, Aircraft Door and Window Seal Adhesive by Knots 2U which you may find less expensive elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Lee Yeilding said:

Also, My gear down light is bright on initial fire up but very light while in flight for final.  what could be the cause?  Would replacing the bulb remedy?

Floor light or annunciator panel light? The annunciator panel light dims when the nav lights are on. If it dims otherwise, there is likely a problem with the annunciator panel rather than the light bulb. The floor light should always be bright unless it's burned out.

On 9/6/2023 at 2:07 PM, Lee Yeilding said:

I have a 2000 M20R and the door seal is dry rotted on the side and compressed on the top side where it leaks water in the cabin.  is there a generic seal or factory OEM seal that can be procured by the foot or set package length that I can use to replace?  What is the best process for removing old seal; heat, razor or exact knife or both, best chemical for removing old adhesive?  is the yellow 3M gasket and weather seal adhesive the best to use for re-installation?  Is there a video to show process?

Calling @Gee Bee Aeroproducts to the discussion.

He has a seal far-better than what the factory uses.  I put one on my former Ovation, and never had a drop come in the cabin - either in the air or on the ground…despite a couple of rain events where the plane was left outside briefly on trips.  

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 12:13 PM, PT20J said:

Floor light or annunciator panel light? The annunciator panel light dims when the nav lights are on. If it dims otherwise, there is likely a problem with the annunciator panel rather than the light bulb. The floor light should always be bright unless it's burned out.

Annunciator panel light.  I will test with nav lights on to see if it makes a difference next time I am the plane.  Low fuel lights and speed brake lights come on plenty bright when in air with nav lights on.  Maybe it's a panel issue.  Floor light is fine.  I'm always looking for green indication when gear is down and it's evident even without a light during the daytime.

Just now, Lee Yeilding said:

Annunciator panel light.  I will test with nav lights on to see if it makes a difference next time I am the plane.  Low fuel lights and speed brake lights come on plenty bright when in air with nav lights on.  Maybe it's a panel issue.  Floor light is fine.  I'm always looking for green indication when gear is down and it's evident even without a light during the daytime.

also, where would you start and terminate the weather seal?  Was trying to think what area would be least likely to come unglued, interfered with by passengers, and unlikely to leak water in case of compromise or failure.

8 minutes ago, Lee Yeilding said:

The nav lights only dim the Gear DN light. There is a DIM button that will dim the low fuel lights. All the rest have no dimming function.

14 minutes ago, Lee Yeilding said:

also, where would you start and terminate the weather seal?  Was trying to think what area would be least likely to come unglued, interfered with by passengers, and unlikely to leak water in case of compromise or failure.

I put the break at the bottom of the door since that is the spot least likely to allow water in. The Brown Aircraft seal is neoprene so you can glue the ends together with wetsuit cement if you want it to be continuous.

On 9/6/2023 at 4:07 PM, Lee Yeilding said:

Here's another option:

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...