Landing Lights

5 hours ago, Alan Maurer said:

Hello Mooney People,

For my 2008 Ovation.... Are there super bright landing and taxi lights that can be installed to replace the not so bright factory originals?

And if so, where can I buy them and are they difficult to install?

Thanks

Alan

N913ND 

Yes.  Check in with our local Whelen LED expert @OSUAV8TER. He’ll get you set up. 

6 hours ago, Alan Maurer said:

Hello Mooney People,

For my 2008 Ovation.... Are there super bright landing and taxi lights that can be installed to replace the not so bright factory originals?

Thanks

Alan

N913ND 

This page will get you started. It’s @OSUAV8TER‘s store front.

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/Whelen-Aerospace-Technologies-LED-Lighting_c_25.html

Cheers,
Rick

Just be careful going down the light rabbit hole.  First it is landing/taxi lights.  Then LED recog lights, but while you have the tips opened up, you might as well add LED position/strobes.  And then there is that loud, old, rotating beacon. :D

On 5/14/2023 at 1:48 PM, Rick Junkin said:

This page will get you started. It’s @OSUAV8TER‘s store front.

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/Whelen-Aerospace-Technologies-LED-Lighting_c_25.html

Cheers,
Rick

I installed the Wheelen G3 taxi & landing lights on my 2006 O2 last year.
Since then, the taxi lights are always on - whether on ground or in the air..

Some remarks on installation:

• Living in a metric-country, it took some time to find the matching allen-wrench (5/32" as far as I recall).
  • Either you have three hands or you use duct-tape to fix the new lights in the wing cut out from the front while trying to mount the screws through the small inspection plate at the wing's bottom.
  • Since the G3's are missing the alignment edges found on the original PAR36, there is a chance, that they tend to twist in the cut-outs. Some (self adhesive) elastic tape (e.g., EPDM foam) could help to avoid this.

Best,

Matthias

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 8:45 AM, Pinecone said:

Just be careful going down the light rabbit hole.  First it is landing/taxi lights.  Then LED recog lights, but while you have the tips opened up, you might as well add LED position/strobes.  And then there is that loud, old, rotating beacon. :D

I don't think they were shipping many 2008 Ovations with rotating beacons.

1 hour ago, MatthiasArnold said:

I installed the Wheelen G3 taxi & landing lights on my 2006 O2 last year.
Since then, the taxi lights are always on - whether on ground or in the air..

Some remarks on installation:

• Living in a metric-country, it took some time to find the matching allen-wrench (5/32" as far as I recall).
  • Either you have three hands or you use duct-tape to fix the new lights in the wing cut out from the front while trying to mount the screws through the small inspection plate at the wing's bottom.
  • Since the G3's are missing the alignment edges found on the original PAR36, there is a chance, that they tend to twist in the cut-outs. Some (self adhesive) elastic tape (e.g., EPDM foam) could help to avoid this.

Best,

Matthias

This is the kind of guidance you only get from someone who has been there.  Thank you!

EDIT:  I just looked at some conversion tables, and it looks like 4mm might be about 0.001 inches too large.  You probably do not usually need tools sized in inches, but here we have to have two complete sets of tools.

1 hour ago, mooniac15u said:

I don't think they were shipping many 2008 Ovations with rotating beacons.

He may want to add one. :D

I like having a beacon.  It is a signal to everyone around that the engine may start or be running.,

Also, if you leave it on all the time, it is a quick check as you walk away that the master is off. :D

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 1:25 AM, Alan Maurer said:

Hello Mooney People,

Thanks

Alan

N913ND 

@Alan Maurer give me a call at 1-833-425-5288. I have bright LED landing and taxi lights for you. I am a Whelen Aerospace Technologies dealer so let's see what you have in there and what we can do to give you more light. Here is a direct link to my website too: https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/Whelen-Aerospace-Technologies-LED-Lighting_c_25.html