Updating Garmin databases away from home

amillet

I left home 4/12 to attend Henderson PPP. Garmin GTN database effective 4/20 wasn’t yet available. Left Henderson for Northern Arizona to visit some cousins in Showlow and Springerville. Left AZ on 4/18 and flew to Georgetown TX to visit #2 son.  I originally planned on bringing the laptop to update the database but decided I could use the FBO computer or my son’s computer. Garmin requires downloading its database manager software. FBO & hotel computers require administrator’s approval, which was not available on site.  Son’s computer was Chromebook which is not Garmin compatible. Son’s work laptop was windows 11 which only allows download of Microsoft Store approved apps (which Garmin DB Manager apparently is not). I found some online instructions for going into developer mode in Windows but even then couldn’t download it.  Any easy solution from you techies?

Check with the Flight Schools at the airports you stop at.  You'll need to Log them OUT of their account, then you log in to update your SD Cards or USB Stick, whatever you use.  Then MAKE SURE YOU LOG OUT when you're done.

Other option would be if any of the airports have a Garmin Shop.  I'm sure they could also help you out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, amillet said:

I left home 4/12 to attend Henderson PPP. Garmin GTN database effective 4/20 wasn’t yet available. Left Henderson for Northern Arizona to visit some cousins in Showlow and Springerville. Left AZ on 4/18 and flew to Georgetown TX to visit #2 son.  I originally planned on bringing the laptop to update the database but decided I could use the FBO computer or my son’s computer. Garmin requires downloading its database manager software. FBO & hotel computers require administrator’s approval, which was not available on site.  Son’s computer was Chromebook which is not Garmin compatible. Son’s work laptop was windows 11 which only allows download of Microsoft Store approved apps (which Garmin DB Manager apparently is not). I found some online instructions for going into developer mode in Windows but even then couldn’t download it.  Any easy solution from you techies?

If you're in Georgetown TX,  they have a great shop on the field, Central Texas Avionics. I would give them a call to see if you could download over there (512-868-8484)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, amillet said:

Are you sure? My laptop is Windows 11 and I downloaded it from the Garmin site and installed it.

Link to the Garmin page:
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/garmin-aviation-database-manager/

Direct link to the application download:
https://static.garmincdn.com/apps/fly/files/desktop/win/electron/22.12.8/garminAvnDbManagerSetup_22.12.8.exe

Edit: It may be the way his work has restrictions setup on the laptop, but isn't a Windows 11 issue.

Edited by Skates97
  • Like 2

I always just bring my laptop. But if the reason you didn't bring yours is it's big and heavy and expensive, consider an educational laptop. They are made for kids in school. I bought one last  year on sale for $150. They are cheap, small, light, and durable. If you lose it or it's stolen, you aren't out much. You can toss it in your bag without a case. Performance is not great, but adequate for this use. Lenovo is always putting them on sale, so just watch their site for a few weeks and you are guaranteed to find a good deal.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad11e/thinkpad-yoga-11e-(5th-gen)/20lms09v00

• Like 1

FBO at KCFO didn’t have the Garmin aviation database manager on its computer but contacted IT who agreed to download it but the guy who knew the password was off today. One of the FBO employees who is a pilot and working on his instrument rating drove me to his flight school and I was able to update it there :)

• Like 4

The simple solution that eliminates programming data cards is the FS510 card that also gives you bi-directional flight plan transfer and logs your flight data to the Garmin Pilot logbook. Also needs Garmin Pilot for the database concierge functionality.
Once you have it set up it’s really helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have FS210 and use Foreflight.   What do you have to do to upgrade to 510? ( in addition to using Garmin Pilot) 

Spend $1500, it’s a sdcard with wifi, I haven’t heard good things about it.

Garmin also announced Planesync with built in cellular (gdl 60) that does this automatically.

• 1 month later...

I just got a promo email today from Garmin about PlaneSync, but I don’t totally understand what it is…  Is this a replacement for FliteStream? They say that it’s part of the Connext family, but it sounds like it’s not a replacement for the network itself.. Is this just a way to add external connectivity (cellular or wifi) to whatever you already have installed?

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/planesync/

42 minutes ago, toto said:

I just got a promo email today from Garmin about PlaneSync, but I don’t totally understand what it is…  Is this a replacement for FliteStream? They say that it’s part of the Connext family, but it sounds like it’s not a replacement for the network itself.. Is this just a way to add external connectivity (cellular or wifi) to whatever you already have installed?

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/planesync/

It downloads databases using cellular connection. That way, you don't need to use database concierge with your flightstream. You just walk to the airplane, and the database is already downloaded. You just need to accept updating. 

But it is more than just an update mechanism. It also allows you to remotely see things like your fuel level - like what they have in the cirri. 

Now if it could sump the fuel itself... :)