Fuel/Oil Drip

WAFI

I'm not as concerned as my other issue that is going on but I wanted to get some feed back on this situation. After any length of flight I get a small puddle of Fuel/Oil mixture dripping from the 90 degree fitting underneath my motor. Thoughts??

IMG_3687 (002).JPG

IMG_3686 (002).JPG

IMG_3688 (002).JPG

I lay a blue paper towel there. If you are outside, don't worry about it it isn't your pavement.

That is the sump drain, it is there to drain fuel that accumulates in the intake plenum. When you shut down your engine, the fuel injection lines are full of fuel. The heat of the engine causes this fuel to vaporize and it forces the fuel out of the injector nozzles. It runs down the intake risers into the plenum and out the sniffle valve, which is the 90 degree fitting you are pointing to. It is all working as designed.

• Like 5

As far as oil dripping off the outside of the sniffle valve, it is the lowest point on the engine. Lycomings leak oil. It all runs down the engine and eventually makes it to the sniffle valve and drips.

I've seen a few pictures of absolutely dry Lycomings. They are the outliers...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I lay a blue paper towel there. If you are outside, don't worry about it it isn't your pavement.

That is the sump drain, it is there to drain fuel that accumulates in the intake plenum. When you shut down your engine, the fuel injection lines are full of fuel. The heat of the engine causes this fuel to vaporize and it forces the fuel out of the injector nozzles. It runs down the intake risers into the plenum and out the sniffle valve, which is the 90 degree fitting you are pointing to. It is all working as designed.

Thanks for the feedback!! Now onto my bigger issue!

21 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I've seen a few pictures of absolutely dry Lycomings. They are the outliers...

The few that I have overhauled were absolutely dry.

‘For a few years, then they would begin to seep in a couple places, I believe at least seepage is going to occur and seeps later turn into leaks.

23 minutes ago, Yetti said:

You probably need to lean more when you land.  I don't change the mixture from cruise to land.  On rollout I will half the mixture.

On rollout, I pull the mixture back to where I taxi, about 2/3 towards Idle / Cutoff. With a quadrant, it's easy to judge the position. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

On rollout, I pull the mixture back to where I taxi, about 2/3 towards Idle / Cutoff. With a quadrant, it's easy to judge the position. 

I probably should have said half the mixture from where it was at cruise.  Yes on the quadrant.   It's probably an inch up from off at that point.