Sky Tec Starters

bgpilot1

I just installed an (NL) I beklieve the model is. Was having issues with it and had to send it back after a week, but I am not convinced it was the starter. They said they found nothing wrong at Skytec, but the shop said it had to be the starter...so who knows, but over all they do crank much harder relative to the stock starters and are certainly light...

Everyone told me to go that route..

I have the NL as well.  Great starter.  Combined with the Concorde sealed battery, the engine cranks strong and fast.

It weighs less than the one it replaced.  My useful load went up by 9 pounds.

I also installed a sky-tec starter and it now works great.  One issue however.  Initially I purchased a rebuilt starter.  If looked great on the outside, however after it was installed it did not work.  My mechanic said the problem had to be the starter.  I found it hard to believe however as usual he was right.  When he removed the starter and took it apart the entire inside was corroded and in terrible condition.  I called the factory and sent pictures.  They replaced the rebuilt starter with a new one at no additional charge, however I had to eat about $300 in cost for my mechanic to instal and replace the starter and to figure out the problem. 

IN any event, this starter with new solinoids starts that engine immediately with no problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the inline skytec it is worth every penny I spent , It spins so fast you have to hold the brakes (just kidding) but it is far superior to the old prestolite starters , also if your battery cables are marginal this will do the trick... This problem is usually only figured out after they replace the starter and battery !!!   I highly reccomend it ... Reguards Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After 3 months experience, i love it.  The in-line SkyTec bolted right in and spins 2x faster than the OEM version.

Piece of cake.  The in-line doesn't require any baffle modifications. 

Hot starts, cold weather, you will love it.

I use almost the exact same technique, except for the 20-30 seconds.  Just a few seconds seems fine for me.  And then after a half hour, I add a second of primer for each half hour that has passed, up to the amount that I would normally prime for an ambient temp start.  This has proven quite faithfull, as there is no fuel truck at my home base and I often taxi from fuel pump to hangar after a flight.

• 4 months later...

Hello all.  Does anyone know hoe to revise the weight and balance after installing a  skytec starter?  

I just installed a brand new Skytec startet and I was not sure how to recalculate the new weight and balance.   The POH has one arm and moment for the entitre engine including starter and alternator, but my AP is giving me a different set of numbers for the starter.  I don't want to make a mistake but also I don't want  to tell him he is making a mistake unless I am certain of what I'm talking about.  He wouldn't mind but I don't want him to think I'm second guessing him with wromg info at that!  Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. What a difference from the old bendix.   I am taxiing with this thing!  Just kidding!

Lycoming S.I. 1447B and your Mooneys equiptment list will give you all the info you need. Using my own aircraft as an example, item 104. lists a starter, Prestolite MZ4206 at 17.80 pounds with an arm of -18.00 inches. This consides with the weight listed in the S.I.. The new SKytec weighs 8.0 pounds. The rest as they say is simple mathmatics and a entry in the logbook stating installation IAW the S.I.

Quote: bgpilot1

Thinking about replacing the bendix starter in my M20F.  I believe there are two from Sky Tec that are options.  One is the Fly-Weight LS and the other is the High-Torque Inline.  Any experience or opinions here?

Thanks,

Barry

Quote: allsmiles

Hello all.  Does anyone know hoe to revise the weight and balance after installing a  skytec starter?  

I just installed a brand new Skytec startet and I was not sure how to recalculate the new weight and balance.   The POH has one arm and moment for the entitre engine including starter and alternator, but my AP is giving me a different set of numbers for the starter.  I don't want to make a mistake but also I don't want  to tell him he is making a mistake unless I am certain of what I'm talking about.  He wouldn't mind but I don't want him to think I'm second guessing him with wromg info at that!  Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. What a difference from the old bendix.   I am taxiing with this thing!  Just kidding!

I had the LS starter and it had trouble getting the engine past the first compression stroke. Once past that stroke it would spin the engine okay. When I had my engine overhauled I went with the NL 149 starter and with its higher torque the first compression stroke difficulty is a thing of the past. I was able to get a trade-in on my LS starter to upgrade to the NL. I highly recommend the NL starter.

One bad experience with brand new Skytec 149NL.  I've had the starter for 1 week. I started the airplane three times in this 1 week. The 4th time dead starter. YES DEAD STARTER! Thank God my AP did not charge me again to remove due to the fact HE guaranteed the labor if it failed within the two years that Skytec warrants the starter.!  He wasn't happy and neither was I.  But Skytec overnighted another one out.  It does not make me feel warm and fuzzy for a brand new starter but I  must accept it as another paragraph in Murphy's Law or just a fluke of nature.  

I replaced my starter with the SkyTec NL149 when my engine was in for overhaul recently.  It is great.  No more problems with hot starts.  They were a challenge before, but now with the high torque there is no issue.

I also have the inline Sky-Tek.  I believe it to be the NL.  I had a failure after about a year...When the core was sent back they said it was "their problem" and replaced for no charge...but I ate the removal and install.  The starter has worked great for three years and running since replacement...My secret on "Hot start" in my E is to run fuel pump for 3 seconds at Mixture cut-off...to pressurize, but NOT add any primed fuel.  Don't touch anything and turn the key.  I have had EXCELLENT results with this method...from 1 minute to one hour...give it a try.  I also throttle up to 1500 prior to mixture cut-off/shut down...With aggressive leaning IMMEDIATELY after start up I have had NO mag issues or plug fouling (I have massive vs. fine wire plugs)