16GB IPad 2

DonMuncy

I'm soon going to have to bite the bullet and buy an IPad. I read that many folks have a 32GB unit and do fine. Do any of you have the 16GB version. If so, is that plenty for foreflight. and a few other odds and ends. 

Don,

Unknowingly I bought the 64G last year.  Not really knowing how big the iPad nav revolution was going to be.

I have not filled 16G yet.

If you plan on storing movies and a lifetime supply of pictures for inflight entertainment, things could change.

WingX uses less than 2G for an entire country of low enroute, VFR and IAPs.

I also got the 3G option just to have the convenience of the internal GPS.  I do not actually use a data plan.

I think you can safely use a 16G iPad, load it with all your apps including email and have plenty left over.

Be careful, once you own an iPad you will find many ways to use it that you did not consider prior.

Trade-ins and refurbs are options...

Best regards,

-a-

I am with you guys. 16 GB is likely fine.   If you hav a large amount of music or movies, the 32 GB may be needed. We have 3K songs, foreflight with tons of charts, jepp FD, and other stuff its not nearly full.    If you have bored kids, movies may be something you are interested in.  About 1 GB per movie.  

I have a 16GB iPad 2.  There's enough room for Foreflight to have the entire US, but not enough to update those charts prior to the effective date.  Right now, updates to my charts are available, and they're effective 11/17.  If I try to download them now, Foreflight will keep the current charts until 11/17, and there isn't enough room on the device to store both copies.  True, I don't need the entire US, but I keep it there, minus Alaska (takes around 2 GB by itself).

Bottom line, you can make do with a 16 GB, but 32 would probably be better.

I have the 32 gb and I'd say the extra storage is nice to have but not necessary if you're only planning ot use it for aviation purposes.  Before you make a decision make sure you understand how the ipad manages storage.  The iPad will delete your foreflight maps if it runs out of space.

I have the 16 gb Ipad 1 and use foreflight w/ all maps for CA, AZ, & NV with plenty of storage for a few other apps. I'll echo the same as many others if you plan on using it for more than just aviation, web surfing, netflix, and email I would get the 32. Better to have more than not enough.

Thanks to all those offering info. I have no kids, don't do movies or videos, and (as of now), have no plans for using it for anything except aviation. However, the post about loading charts before their effective date is interesting. How does that work. Do you load the new ones as soon as they are available and then delete the old version on the effective date. Between those times, is there any confusion about which set of charts you are pulling up. (I understand I am asking from a pretty deep ignorance point) I am pretty good about keeping my Jepp charts updated, so I expect I won't have a problem with Foreflight.The only time I have ever had any concern was when an update became effective while I am on a trip. And that really was not a real problem; only theoritical. I have no problem spending an extra $100 to go to 32GB if only vaguely likely to be necessary, but I don't want to throw away $100, if  totally unnecessary.  

Hello Don-

I purchased the 32mb ipad2 after a similar debate.   I've never been a true early adopter to brand new techonology but wait for the bugs to be worked out.  My younger brother used to work for the apple store and knows me - he said to go with the 32 over the 16, but that at this time I did not need the 64 at all.

I needed a laptop replacement, and knew that I had access to a true laptop as opposed to tablet through my office any time.  i have a computer at home.  The ipad2, as noted in a separate post, will pay for itself in 2 years.  I was purchasing over $300 worth of charts per year for all of the XC and IFR flights.  Also, the first year of foreflight ended up being free due to a customer service glitch on their end.  I've used the iPad2 since June.

I do not keep a lot of music/movies/things like that on there now, but I am using more an mroe of the apps and programs as time goes by.  Knowing that I plan to keep this piece of equipment, similar to my phone (I keep them for more than two years at a clip) or my last laptop (six years), I purchase the 32mb size so that it would still function well as I learned to use it more and more for a variety of reasons.  When the time does come to replace it in 2, 3, 4 or 12 years, I'll at that time reevaluate if I wasted the $100, or if it is time to move up.  The memory causing replacemnt won't be an issue, it'll be other factors.

I suggest for longevity purposes to go with the 32mb model and re-evaluate in a few years.

Take care,

-Seth

Quote: DonMuncy

However, the post about loading charts before their effective date is interesting. How does that work. Do you load the new ones as soon as they are available and then delete the old version on the effective date.

I have the iPad 1, 64Gb, 3G.  I would definitely get the 3G again because it helps for flight planning at airports where there is no wireless.  But I have Foreflight and all of the US charts in the subscription loaded on my iPad, plus several other apps, and it still does not take up 10Gb.  I think the 64Gb was designed for people who want to store video frankly. 

That said, the direction of tech has always been to make software/programs bigger, so Foreflight works fine now, what about after some more features are added? 32Gb would be the safe bet.

I have the 32gig with the 3g.  Just today I did a Foreflight update and did not have enough space.  My space is taken up by the full Volume of IFR Sporty videos.  Great for when you are stuck somewhere for an hour.  I think 16gig will cut it too close and leave you restricted.  How about loading music and playing through your music imput?  Or a couple movies for a long 5 hr trip.  Mount theipad on the Co-pilot yoke and rotate to horizontal and enjoy the movie! 

Also with the 3G, you don't have to fumble through the computer at the FBO.  Last minute weather from you car or at the restaurant on the way to the airport.  Also the 3G gives you the built in GPS.  I have found that it is accurate enough and very close to my WASS.  Keep in mind, the Ipad is secondary!

I was considering a 32g Ipad 2 when I was offered a 16g 3g Ipad 1 for $200. Would not have only got 16g if I were buying new but 16 works for foreflight. It was hard for me to justify buying new as all I wanted it for was as an EFB. For $200 it was a no brainer. The difference to get 3g and 32 gig would be worth it in my opinion.

I fly with an iPad 2 16GB 3G with both Foreflight and WX with Geo-Refernce.  (Just couldn't decide, so I bought both).  I like WX just a little better, but I like Foreflights charts a little better.  I don't use my iPad for video's or pictures really.  I only have about 300 songs.  I carry my iPod for real music.  I've only downloaded CO, NM, and TX (charts and all) and still have 5GB left.  I can see where a 32GB would be better for people who use their iPad for more than flying.  3G is a life saver and once you have it, you'll feel naked without it.  I'm in the process of getting a wireless device to hook up my Worx weather receiver...then I'll have inflight weather directly on the iPad.  I mounted the RAM ball on both the yoke and the windshield bar (up high) so I can swing the iPad wherever it needs to go.  I only use the window bar when I'm flying by myself.  It feels like I have more room that way.  Flying with the iPad is the cats meow!  Would be nice to slave the autopilot to it since I don't have a 430/530 to slave it to.

• 3 weeks later...

I "bit" the bullet yesterday.  Got the Foreflight with the Canadian and US subscriptions (which is offered as a bit of a deal given the need to buy two whole subscriptions).  Tomorrow (if it stays VFR) I am taking a safety pilot from the club with me and we are going to do some practicing.  Hopefully a few approaches where I get to use the plates.

Off to FDK on Sunday for business so that will be its innaugural cross country.

Carusoam:

I did not gets the georeferenced plates.   But it is great.  Took it flying today.  Got the combo US and Canadian charts. 

One thing I learned is that Foreflight is not a strong VFR chart device.  Great for IFR and approach plates. Luckily, I have an AV8OR for VFR.  The sectionals are good enough as a reference, but that is about it.  

Anyone else notice the breaks in the charts?  Jepp stuff does not have that but they are exorbitantly priced..

All-in-all a good and useful buy. 

IMO..

BTW:  posted this off the iPad.