Winching M20J by the tail

Jeev

Hey all - So after getting new paint I finally broke down and rented a hangar.  It has a raised concrete floor and will be difficult to push it back in solo.  Many people in the hangars around me use a winch to pull their planes in by the tail.  My J has the stock tail tie down.  What do you think?  Potential for damage?

Thanks,

SP

Jeev,

Some things to consider....

At a minimum,  make sure the proper hardware is firmly seated all the way up into the receiving threaded holes.

The tie down is strong enough to hold the tail down through strong winds, mildly pulling a plane by it should be OK.  I would be more concerned with an accident while pulling on the tail, what will cause the damage.

The tie down is designed for stresses up and down, both as a tie-down and as a tail skid.  Pulling on it laterally is probably not it's primary function.  This goes back to the question of weighing down the tail during annuals.  The tie down is strong, but the sheet metal that it is mounted to is next in line to receive the stress.

It is still a better idea to use a tug on the landing gear.

Best regards,

-a-

I did my transition training in a 201 based at a grass strip.  The owner/instructor used a winch to pull his 201 back into the hangar from the grass with no problem.  I then used a winch for my Rocket for a number of years and also had no problem.

I wouldn't winch from the tail or anywhere else as I will never push or pull from the prop. It seems natural and easy to push or pull on that prop. I got in an argument one time with an airport person who insisted it was safe to push on the prop because he was too lazy to bring over the tug. 

Quote: allsmiles

I wouldn't winch from the tail or anywhere else as I will never push or pull from the prop. It seems natural and easy to push or pull on that prop. I got in an argument one time with an airport person who insisted it was safe to push on the prop because he was too lazy to bring over the tug. 

That prop pulls your airplane with 600 LBS of static thrust and pulls your airplane through the air at 160 knots. It will also do so for 2,000 hours.    Just be careful with the spinner :)

Quote: allsmiles

I bought a remote control ATV winch , rated for 3000#.    Bought ~ 30 foot of heavy rope and attached each end to the main gear with a large carabiner ( I think).....   attached winch to middle of rope.   Operated remote control while standing at front of airplane and using towbar to steer and help push.  

Never saw a problem with this , YMMV , of course   mike