This may be the one

LFOD

I was working a deal with a friend of mine to purchase his plane, but there were issues at the pre-buy and it fell through.  I have talked to Jimmy at All American about this 1984 M20J and she has everything I'm looking for. Im excited to possibly own an aircraft that isn't older then me (last plane was a 1967 M20F).  

1984 M20J

We negotiated a price well below what it is advertised for. Any thought/comments would be much appreciated. 

Matt

This one has been around for awhile, and I suspect it was because of the avionics being removed with the price as is. That was my take atleast.

Being a low timer, there are more qualified folks on this board to give you opinions.

Sorry you and your buddy couldn't work things out.

Good luck.

David

Matt, that looks like a great value to me.  I don't like the seat covers much, but there are tons worse out there.  :)  Nice panel, good times, and all the niceties of the '84J that I wish I had on my '77.  Do you know any history on it, especially MX history and recent use (or non-use)?  Any idea what the useful load is?

It was being flown a lot recently.  Then engine was overhauled in 2003 and already has 800 hours on it.  To me, that is a good thing.  If/when the deal is closed, I can let you know what the deal is with the price.  Needless to say, when I was looking to upgrade avionics/airframe of my friend's plane, it came out to $20,000 over what Jimmy and I agreed upon with this Mooney and his would still be an F. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but no matter how hard you try, an F model is still an F model. I am really looking forward to taking advantage if those fold down seats with my dogs.

Have not checked on the useful load, but with my mission, I will be willing to give some up for the equipment on this aircraft. 

Ill let everyone know how it goes.

Matt,

I too have been watching the M20J / M20K postings on controller for about 9-12 months being in the market myself.    What I have noticed is a lot of planes from American sitting on the list for quite sometime.  And with no disrespect, IMHO most are on the high end (from American) of the asking price for the current state of economy.  Conversely, Barron Thomas seems to price things about right for the economy but they have a few quirks like not releasing the tail number on their site or over the phone when you call.  In American's defense, I have not called to talk to them about their inventory.   I have been hesitant to call because of the high advertised prices and found myself looking elsewhere.

So, if I may ask, how much of a discount did you negotiate?  You don't have to "kiss and tell" so to speak, just a rough idea would be nice.

I think Jimmy/AAA typically get examples from the upper end of the spectrum, or at the very least way above average.  The opposite is true with Barron Thomas.  I've been watching Mooney ads for almost 3 years now and wouldn't hesitate to look at AAA Mooneys, but I wouldn't even read an ad for Barron Thomas.  I think it is a smart move to pay a little more up front and get a plane that has been maintained (and hopefully upgraded) vs. a cheaper one that will likely lead to a lot of catch-up MX on deferred items.  JMHO

Matt--

I purchased my '80 "J" from Jimmy/AAA in October, and for my money, you couldn't be dealing with a better group. They know what they're talking about, and you can trust what they say.

I also second the comment about Barron Thomas. I had a really bad experience with him and, like other posters, won't even read his ads.

Michael

Quote: Rustler

Matt--

I purchased my '80 "J" from Jimmy/AAA in October, and for my money, you couldn't be dealing with a better group. They know what they're talking about, and you can trust what they say.

I also second the comment about Barron Thomas. I had a really bad experience with him and, like other posters, won't even read his ads.

Michael

Quote: LFOD

I was working a deal with a friend of mine to purchase his plane, but there were issues at the pre-buy and it fell through.  I have talked to Jimmy at All American about this 1984 M20J and she has everything I'm looking for. Im excited to possibly own an aircraft that isn't older then me (last plane was a 1967 M20F).  

1984 M20J

We negotiated a price well below what it is advertised for. Any thought/comments would be much appreciated. 

Matt

Quote: Parker_Woodruff

And I was about to buy yours until you decided to keep it! :) You've got a nice ride.

If you need any help with anything down here between San Antonio and Longview let me know!  Sorry to hear the deal on the F fell through...I hope Gary's doing ok!

If I could finish my darn CFI I'd do your insurance checkout!  On another note I know of at least 3 other guys who can.

Quote: mooney205kd

No kidding??  You were the buyer, huh?  Nice to meet you here.  You would have had a solid bird with 5KD, but it worked out better for AAA and us that we remained her caretaker.  You seen her lately?  Check out the galleries here - she's looking good!  Probably gonna get a factory interior before too long.  That's one thing I LOVED about that Encore.