Landing Procedures Mooney 1966 Super 21 POH

It is recommended that the base leg be flown at 90 MPH.  Upon turning final, or sooner if necessary, extend the desired amount of flaps.  Flap speed is 100mph.  As the flaps are extended, the aircraft will become nose heavy.  Roll the trim back so that the aircraft will glide hands-off at approximately 80mph.  The addition of a slight amount of power will flatten out the glide considerably.  The stall warning horn will blow if airspeed is reduced to within 5-10mph of stalling speed.

Stall Speed V1 Bank Angle Gross Weight 2575.; I.A.S. MPH; Power Off-0 degree flaps 67mph;  15 degree (Take Off) 64mph;  33 degree (landing) 57 mph

It is recommended that full flaps be used on all landings, because of the added visibility over the nose that it affords, however, the use of full flaps tends to make an aircraft nose-heavy. and it is therefore necessary to roll the trim well back to make a good landing.  On a Normal final landing approach, the aircraft should be trimmed for hands off flight to the point of flare-out.

Not looking for input or comment.  This is the POH for my 1966 M20E Super 21 as it relates to landing.

100% spelled out?  Any room for subjectivity?  Any allowance for individual pilot decision making, airmanship?  Any considerations for weight and wind and temp?

Hi Scott,

Can I still use my "prayer for landing" in case all that technical stuff runs afoul of the laws of physics? Thanks for pointing out that noise I've been hearing near touchdown , is that the stall warning horn that sounds like a sheep bleating? I knew it wasn't the gear warning because I have been able to roll back to my tiedown and when I look under the wing I can see those black rubber thingies touching the ground.

Squirrel, you crack me up! And for what it's worth, I always say a little prayer when I move that round white knob from Up to Down and listen/feel for the thump on downwind. Then I double-check it on base, and pet it rather protectively on final, just to make sure that those cute little black thingys are all set to be squished on the asphalt. You've got that great big metal piece, though, which is much more obvious.

Those durn sheep seem to follow me all over the country, too, but I've not yet determined how I keep hearing them. Even bought myself a new headset, but they still make themselves heard, especially the last obnoxious one with his two-tone bleat . . .

As long as I keep cheating death, though, I won't complain about the occasional odd noise. It's kind of like those ones you hear from the engine when heading into the mountains at night, just as soon as you get past gliding distance from the last airport and the next VOR is 80+ nm away and there are no lights visible down below and nothing showing on the sectional except lots of very squiggly lines.

On my 1970 m20e with electric gear when the gear moves up/down I can hear it as well as literally feel it move into the up and down positions.  As the gear has moved into 1 of the 2 positions.  Up or Down.

My question is, is this normal to actually feel it in your butt?  My plane is in annual now so I will be going to see the gear up/down on the jacks and I want to ask my mechanic if something is rubbing or what not but I've only got about 20 hours in the plane so don't know what's normal.

Does anyone else feel this?

Thanks.

Quote: 1970m20e

On my 1970 m20e with electric gear when the gear moves up/down I can hear it as well as literally feel it move into the up and down positions.  As the gear has moved into 1 of the 2 positions.  Up or Down.

My question is, is this normal to actually feel it in your butt?  My plane is in annual now so I will be going to see the gear up/down on the jacks and I want to ask my mechanic if something is rubbing or what not but I've only got about 20 hours in the plane so don't know what's normal.

Thanks.

Quote: 1970m20e

Thanks.

Quote: scottfromiowa

Roll the trim back so that the aircraft will glide hands-off at approximately 80mph.

Stall Speed V1 Bank Angle Gross Weight 2575.; I.A.S. MPH; Power Off-0 degree flaps 67mph;  15 degree (Take Off) 64mph;  33 degree (landing) 57 mph

It is recommended that full flaps be used on all landings.

Any considerations for weight and wind and temp?

"Mine has the Eaton actuator.  Does anyone have an electric gear Mooney that can't feel the actuator in the seat of your pants from the pilot's seat?  I've only flown two electric gear Mooneys (the other a Dukes) and they both were similar in this regard.  I'm sure that there are degrees here but I'm curious now as to whether it is as universal a trait for electric gear Mooneys as I have always believed it to be.

Jim"

I experienced this in my '67 F but have never felt anything in the R model.