Aspen problems

Welcome out into the posting open, Don.

Stand by for somebody to answer that one...

In the meantime have you been able to use the search function.  I think I remember somebody describing something similar.

Unfortunately I don't recall any of the details...

Have you installed anything new lately?

Could be an intereference with another box?

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Has anyone had problems with Aspen not powering up. One MFD failed first 2 weeks know less than 1 year  MFD took about 30 minutes to power up Thanks Don

Are you getting any error messages? You mention MFD, is the PFD powering up correctly? Since they cross talk, are you seeing any errors on the PFD?

If it is taking a long time to power up, I would suspect an issue with the RMS and not the unit. The self test screen comes up when booting. I would watch that screen and see if it reports any errors or if it's hung up on a certain step. If the menu shows up on the MFD while it is booting you could force a system reset from the (I think) the last page of the menu.

I would also call their technical support line to see if they have any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Several years ago I was an early adopter of a single screen aspen unit (pro) in a J.  I had two of the units fail as you describe (no power up after initially taking longer than normal).  They replaced mine under warranty each time.  It was my understanding they fixed the production or design problem (not sure which).   I was always a little concerned about the high temps of the bezel (probably not related to the failures, but...).  The final one lasted past my ownership of the plane.  Any chance these are refurb or bought on secondary market? 

Just a comment on the temps of the bezels. I noted that as well. I called Aspen about the temps and was told that in order to prevent heat from building up behind the panel, the heat sink for the unit is designed to be the bezel. Aspen's logic was that it was better to port the heat to the cockpit side rather than behind the panel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No changes in install .The unit will not power up same as the last one .I don't know if it is the replacement or not I have to check the serial number . The last unit got shipped wrong it took 5 weeks for replacement .I only live 200 miles from Albuquerque 

• 1 year later...
On 5/2/2017 at 2:10 AM, DON GRESSMAN said:

No changes in install .The unit will not power up same as the last one .I don't know if it is the replacement or not I have to check the serial number . The last unit got shipped wrong it took 5 weeks for replacement .I only live 200 miles from Albuquerque 

What were the issues with the failures Don? Wow! 5 weeks to send you replacements?!