Anyone install a Ram Air Outlet on Co-Pilot side?

I have the identical ram air outlet as pilot side and wanted to install on co-pilot vent side.  Two have looked at this and said would be a "pain in the @$$"...it appears the bulge on the vent does not allow easy mating.  Anyone done this/had it done?  Can you provide a couple of photos of how it attaches?  Thanks,

Scott

I am planning the same thing.  A kit was offered by SWTA but the FAA caused problems.  I am told that a vent can be field approved as a minor modification with IA sign off and no 337.  You need to reference service bulletin SB M20-208B.  Aircraft Struce has part # 10680 sperical air vent.  I looks like complying with the SB and installing the vent should take about 4 hours and best to do at annual.  You may find as you do the SB that the pilot side vent will need some attention.  Read the SB.

Let me know how it goes.  I plan to do mine in Jume at the annual.

OK. We have a Pilot's Assn. meeting tomorrow evening, I'll take some pictures. IIRC, it's  possible to see out the vent around the eyeball, at least on the right side. I'll take pictures of both, and get them up on Wednesday. The joys of life in the country, peace, quiet and dial-up internet. Thankfully we have a T1 connection at work!

Yesterday was awesome flying weather, but I didn't drive out on Saturday to shovel snow and plug in the oil heater. At breakfast time, it was 4ºF, so climb rate would have been absolutely nuts! More is coming tonight through Wednesday, so I'm parked for a while. It will be nice to at least visit her with the camera . . . Maybe next weekend (??) I can climb out in sub-freezing temps . . . Depends on how much shoveling is required from the hangar to the taxiway.

Hey, Scott, I finally made it to the airport yesterday for pictures. Just haven't had much flying weather recently, and it was bad enough last week that the Pilot's Assn meeting was cancelled. If I can't drive safely, I'm not about to try to fly.

Pictures show L & R side eyeball airvents, plus an outside picture of the pilot's-side scoop going to the eyeball vent. PO said it was "from one of those guys in Texas," so it could well be SWTA. To be sure, I'd have to dig back through the logs.

Good luck with your install! The only problems I've had is that they can be difficult to close in-flight in early winter, as the whole ball will rotate from not being moved all summer long. Even here, the more air I can get inside in the summer, the happier we are, but I can't make myself add a Cool Scoop to the window.

Re-reading your post, yes, I have identical scoops in the fuselage on both sides. The plane was painted 2 owners back, with 2-part epoxy paint, and the vent was already in before the paint went on. It may be factory, it may not; I've seen planes with one vent and some with two, so I consider myself lucky.

post-54-13468139228367_thumb.jpg

post-54-13468139229275_thumb.jpg

post-54-13468139230132_thumb.jpg

Thanks Hank.  My question is more how are people getting the eyeball mounted to the passenger vent?  I have duel vents and have the eyeball (exact match to pilot side), but the vent (on airplane) is NOT flat allowing a flush mounting/screw point for eyeball into the plane vent.  Just wondering how others "overcame" this obstacle.  I am installing to keep wife happy as she likes the air...and being able to "control it herself"...eyes rolling here...

It's what's underneath the fabric where the eyeball screws into the vent that I'm interested in...

Hi Scott,

I called and talked to SWTA several months ago and they were very helpful but no longer offer a kit due to the FAA keeping us safe.  Mooney SB M20-208B item #23 mentions welding the wemac air valve against the aluminum pan using PR1422-B2.  Give South West Texas Aviation a call they will probatly expain better.

Let us know what you find, as you are blazing the way.  Likewise my wife tells me she flies left seat in the Summer unless I get her a vent.