Over flight of Canadian airspace

Bravoman

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

You are correct, it stands for VFR on Top.  Required for flight on top of cloud, weather must be VFR on both ends of the flight.

Clarence

Note that in Canada, VFR on Top is a VFR term and requires an endorsement beyond a PPL.  In the US, "VFR on Top" is an IFR clearance and "VFR Over the Top" is VFR only and doesn't require an IR nor an endorsement.

I heard about a guy that didn't know the difference in the US and asked for VFR on Top not realising he had effectively opened a popup IFR flight plan without having an IR.

• Like 2

I use vfr on top a good bit to get over a cloud deck without having to climb to next IFR altitude. I know it is technically an IFR clearance but in practice it is really a hybrid animal of sorts. I have found that some controllers are not too familiar with it and one or two have asked me what it is. 

2 hours ago, Bravoman said:

I use vfr on top a good bit to get over a cloud deck without having to climb to next IFR altitude. I know it is technically an IFR clearance but in practice it is really a hybrid animal of sorts. I have found that some controllers are not too familiar with it and one or two have asked me what it is. 

it's very, very rarely requested.

Let me tell you how LA center crashed their computer by putting a U2 in as VFR on top at 065 instead of above FL600 causing eram to send the flight plan to every facility under ZLA, tanking it immediately....

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/spy-plane-fries-air-traffic-control-computers-shuts-down-lax-n95886

Edited by peevee