IO-360-A1A cylinders

I have 4 cylinders removed from my E model IO-360-A1A engine. They are Cerminil treated, each with 369 hours on them, all with good compressions and clean.  Includes pistons, piston pins and caps.  Instead of wasting them as core, I thought I'd offer them to the group if anyone needs a good set of cylinders.

Private message me if interested.

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, Shadrach said:

How does one end up with 369hr cylinders that are no longer living on an engine?

How indeed - When one purchases a new engine for their 50 year old airplane!

1 hour ago, Lrn2Fly said:

How indeed - When one purchases a new engine for their 50 year old airplane!

Thanks! I had assumed as much. I guess my real question was why are 369hr cyls off of the engine they once were a part of. Crank isue? Gear up? I was just Just curios.

Shadrach - We replaced the cylinders 369 hours ago when 2 of the old cylinders were found to be defective for various reasons, so we replaced them all at once.  The old ones had over 1100 hours on them, so I got my money's worth from them!  It's now time to do the major overhaul based on years in service and total time on the engine, but if you don't replace the (good) cylinders, it's not considered a major overhaul, at least not in my book.  Some could dispute that, but my maintenance philosophy dictates the over-the-top approach.  Upon tear down, the camshaft and tappers were showing their age, but otherwise the old engine was looking very good.

OK,  hope that explains the sequence and why these cylinders are on the market.  No gear up landings or other high drama going on, just an owner and CFI with a crazy habit of driving my A&P nuts.

44 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Unless it's brand new cylinders, "rebuilt" ones are no better than your A&P regrinding the seats, reaming carbon from the guides, and measuring everything else. 

I don't about that....like the OP mine were first run that I sent to ECI and had NiC3 coating applied. ECI struggled for a while a few years ago but they seemed to have pulled it together. I've got 250+ hours on them and am very happy. They come with a five year warranty.

2 hours ago, Lrn2Fly said:

OK,  hope that explains the sequence and why these cylinders are on the market.  No gear up landings or other high drama going on, just an owner and CFI with a crazy habit of driving my A&P nuts.

And why would you want to do this to Mr. Meirs? :) Will Lyc take junk or worn out cyl's on your core Sam? Seems like they had "rules" about opening a running engine and exchanging parts out as far as core acceptability

7 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

And why would you want to do this to Mr. Meirs? :) Will Lyc take junk or worn out cyl's on your core Sam? Seems like they had "rules" about opening a running engine and exchanging parts out as far as core acceptability

Hi Mike

Bob knows me well and actually likes it when I push the limits. When I got the JPI-930 in the panel, I drove him crazy with all the little problems you discover when you add an engine monitor. But we have a great time troubleshooting things like alternators and oil temps, and we both learn from each other. He's a super knowledgable Mooney guy. In fact, he showed me how to fly Mooney's many years ago, and we've had a great time ever since.

Hope you're doing well - guess we keep missing each other at the Florida Group flyins.  Take care!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lrn2Fly said:

Hi Mike

Bob knows me well and actually likes it when I push the limits. When I got the JPI-930 in the panel, I drove him crazy with all the little problems you discover when you add an engine monitor. But we have a great time troubleshooting things like alternators and oil temps, and we both learn from each other. He's a super knowledgable Mooney guy. In fact, he showed me how to fly Mooney's many years ago, and we've had a great time ever since.

Hope you're doing well - guess we keep missing each other at the Florida Group flyins.  Take care!

Doing well and it seems working every weekend the Lunch group meets lately. I hope all is well with you also. Plan on coming to the Mooney Summit in Oct? Nick is busy working on the registration site now and should have it up soon.