Looking for voltage regulator

Greg252AY

Cant find a voltage regulator for my m20k 252 with single alternator 

It had a electro delta VR802 part number on the current regulator,

Lasar gave me two new part numbers of 800270-501

Or 940170-501

I have tried maxwell, dugosh zefttronics. No one has part and says it would be weeks and cost vary from 800 up. Crazy. 

Anyone have one for sale? Thanks

I can't help you, but this voltage regulator thing is so awful that I carry a second one in my plane so I don't get grounded. It cost me a grand, and I hope I never need it, but it can be really hard to find one on short notice.  If you buy find any, consider buying two. 

Edited by Wistarmo

15 minutes ago, takair said:

Is your K 14 or 28vdc?  I have a spare 800270-505, condition unknown.  It is 14vdc, not sure which model Mooney it is from.  Have you tried  Zeftronics?  They make some inexpensive regulator replacements.

If 12v, I think the R15300 Zeftronics is what you are looking for. BTW, where is the VR installed, service manual doesn't say, if I follow the wires correctly I think it's behind the firewall?

Greg, I had the same issue on a M20M with the dual -503. I sent the one that failed to Don Maxwell (before I knew how great he really is) he fixed it in a few days and returned it. No paperwork but it worked great. Does it rattle? I had ordered a new one from mooney $1800 and 6months!!! Don fixed the one we had and I canceled the order. I believe it's still In service.

I have been happy with the plane power VR on my E now for about 150 hrs.

There is no easy fix for the dual replacement. Don, salvaged, or New from mooney if they can still make it. No aftermarket, repair shop, or field replacements. 

Good luck! That and the TKS filter will wreck a budget!

-Matt

I faced exactly this issue while repairing a failed alternator.  Maxwell checked my regulator and returned it in three days.  Luckily mine turned out to be fine.  I was able to locate one on eBay for $75 so they do turn up periodically.

If mine had failed I seriously considered purchasing the correct type Zefftronics and simply mounting it inside the box that contained the old one.  It is after all JUST a voltage regulator and would be functionally the same (better actually).