Flap adjustment

ryoder

On December 12, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Yetti said:

You are kind of supposed to have a manual to work on a plane.  do you have one for your plane?   It is section 6-6 of SM #106

In addition to the manual, I hear the Feds "prefer" that you have at least A&P credentials. :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shadrach said:

In addition to the manual, I here the Feds "prefer" that you have at least A&P credentials. :D

The regs say 18 months experience at a certified repair station for recommendation for an Airframe.  Does anyone know if they will take any ole A&P recommendation?  I was thinking of getting a tail kit for an experimental to get some riveting experience.

6 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Ryan,

Have you looked your rear spar for cracking under the hinge if you have manual flaps?

Clarence

No but I will ask my IA about it and eyeball it myself.  These are manual hydraulic.

The right flap was offset a bit after a pump or two causing a roll to the left.  

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

What's the acceptable repair for such a situation? Can it be repaired with a doubler or does it need to be replaced?

Mooney SB 20-217.  Parts cost about $300 from LASAR or D Max.  Basically it's just a bunch of doublers. A shop would probably charge about 20 hours.

Good pictures available if you look at the SB.

The "word" of an ole A&P will not suffice  nor will doing a tail kit fir an experimental. You have to have a program set up whereby

you log (I think 1800 hrs) time on the job under supervision of someone (like a shop) doing all kinds of A&P work to qualify to take the written and practical tests. Or you can do the time in an A&P school. We have one guy doing the time logging in our local shop but he has to log every hour he works and what he does and it is signed off by the shop supervisor.

7 hours ago, cliffy said:

The "word" of an ole A&P will not suffice  nor will doing a tail kit fir an experimental. You have to have a program set up whereby

you log (I think 1800 hrs) time on the job under supervision of someone (like a shop) doing all kinds of A&P work to qualify to take the written and practical tests. Or you can do the time in an A&P school. We have one guy doing the time logging in our local shop but he has to log every hour he works and what he does and it is signed off by the shop supervisor.

Cliff,

Two years of schooling and 30 months in the shop, or 4 years in the shop before you can write the exams in Canada.

Clarence

"  You must get 18 months of practical experience with either power plants or airframes, or 30 months of practical experience working on both at the same time. "

I am keeping a log of every thing I do under a mechanics supervision.    I would guess I need 40 hours a week * 18 months to equal the experience requirement.  I guess I will go back and put hours on tasks.  

When I was at the FSDO getting the replacement airworthyness card he said they "accept letter of recommendation"  Guess with everything with the FAA you have to try and ask.   First time I took a practice A&P exam I got a 70%

If there is asymmetrical flap deployment on the mooney something is bent, broken, corroded away.  There is one tube that deploys both flaps.

When I decided to get my A&P license, I sent self addressed stamped envelopes with pre printed letters of recommendations to every A&P I had ever worked with. All they needed to do was fill in the number of months I worked with them and sign it. I then called them all on the phone and let them know the letters were coming. I ended up with four letters with 30 months! The fact is the FAA has to accept them unless they want to call the letter writers liers. The FAA inspector asked to see my pay stubs from when I worked for the mechanic. I told him I never actually worked for them I just hung out an worked on airplanes. He wasn't happy about that answer, but there was nothing he could do about it. He then thought he would give me the impossible oral exam  , it went on for three hours. After I talked his ear off about every subject he asked about, he approved me to take the test.

if you are going to peruse the license with experience, you better be prepared. They will treat you harsher then somebody who went to school.

• Like 1

Once I learn more I want to take the Carpenter Rainbow Aviation LSRM training.  Then I can work on LSAs as a repairman including doing condition inspections.  I know a guy who took it and he said the training was solid.  I'll probably build a LSA some day as well.  I kind of like working on airplanes more than flying.  The same goes for cars.  I was always modding my cars and never raced.

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

can one apply working on LSAs toward an A&P?

Yes.  And the LSRM can charge for services immediately upon finishing the course.  LSA includes airplane, weight shift control, etc and Rainbow has add on modules for those.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yetti said:

Someone had this thought.   You could spend $35K going to A&P school to get a piece of paper.  Or you could by a kit plane and assemble it for $35K and have the frame of an airplane and most likely get your A&P too.

Yes that is true.  I think by having the owner assisted annual experience, fixing the plane under my IA and getting a LSRM and then building a RV12 or similar I could get signed off.  My friend owns a business building gyrocopters and he has contacts like crazy.  I can also work for him and get even more experience.  

I might just go LSA and get my CFI-S and LSRM as that was my original plan.