Passed my PPL Checkride and...

Rik

I was asking the DPE, what is a good plane? etc. I mentioned a Mooney vs Bonanza argument that everyone throws at you when you say "I'm getting my PPL"  Oh.... You need to get a Bonanza or a Mooney!

Well he has his opinion on the Mooney as a cheap, fast plane but not his favorite plane. He said they are always in yaw control and that to make a Mooney turn you are basically turning off the yaw control in order to get the plane to turn?

Never heard this before. True?

Oh, he's a Cessna fan by the way.

• Like 1

Congrats!  As to the yaw control, that may be something on the newer models (I have no experience with those).  However, it is definitely not something that I have to contend with on my '77 M20J.  It goes exactly where you point it and is very responsive.  I second the above advice, fly both and make up your own mind. 

I am sure the DPE was referring to the PC wing leveler systems on the vintage mooney. Too turn, you disable it by pressing the button on the yoke. Not a big deal and those that don't want them always on use a rubber band to disable it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am sure the DPE was referring to the PC wing leveler systems on the vintage mooney. Too turn, you disable it by pressing the button on the yoke. Not a big deal and those that don't want them always on use a rubber band to disable it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some of us don't bother with disabling it, and just turn the yoke anyway. I fly with the Brittain heading bug most of the time when going places, but leave it off when just farting around or practicing approaches / maneuvers.

Congrats on the PPL!!!!

For all the stories, about all the planes out there, I haven't met one yet that didn't respond to control inputs, and fly pretty darn well when properly controlled by a capable pilot.  A lot of urban legend and aircraft envy at work IMHO.  FWIW

• Like 1

Congrats! I'm going to throw some stuff out that may be unpopular, but it's the stuff I've learned over the years 20 years of personal/professional flying. First, don't rush to buy a plane until you learn everything you can about each type and fly in each. There are plenty of pilots who are more than glad to go up for an hr so you can get some hands on flying.

If you are planning on doing anything more than pleasure flying, you need additional ratings. Too often I see people buy planes that are XC machines with no IFR ticket and think they are going to fly long distances on a frequent basis. That is asking to put yourself in a tough spot when unexpected wx pops up. If you truly want to use a Mooney or Bonanza for what it is intended for, start your IFR training...you will be a better pilot for it.

As far as planes, Cessna 172/182 are much more forgiving and easier to stay in front of. They are also less economic and are like driving a truck. Bonanzas are very nice. Don't be scared of the V tails, they have a bad rap because people got behind the aircraft and oversped the airframe. They are bigger inside than a Mooney. I chose a Mooney because of the economical speed. They are also solid IFR platforms. I use it to commute on a regular basis, so I make sure I'm current on instrument approaches and I have XM wx in cockpit to help me when weather is a factor. One last note, none of the aircraft you mentioned are hard IFR planes. I consider those that have anti ice equipment to include boots, heating elements, etc.

Again, this is just my perspective. Keep asking questions so you build your SA.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via Tapatalk

• Like 2

Congrats!

Go O...

It is easy to turn off the electronic whatever that is so bothersome.

if you don't want alt hold, turn it off.

if you don't want heading hold, turn it off.

there isn't an expectation that the guy testing you for the PPL is going to be interested in the same flying machine that you will be.

did you at least ask him what a good car is.  You could judge a lot about his preferences this way.

if the O is too expensive, go with the J.

if the J is too expensive, go with the E.

if the E is too expensive, go with the C.

there are still Bs and As to look at....

there is so much to learn about yourself, what's available, and how affordable it is.  It is all about you!  You have to decide...

how is my logic today?

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

Get some experience and fly both types and evaluate flying qualities.  Then define your mission.  After doing all that, choose which fits all parameters best.

I owned Mooneys for years until family dynamics changed and the cost/utilization lines crossed.  I bought into a 4-way partnership in an F-33A Bonanza with IO-550 conversion.  Believe it or not, useful load on a given mission was about the same as my '78 Mooney 201 because of the extra fuel the Bonanza had to carry to feed the big engine.  Another thing you need to check out on any airplane you're considering is W&B.  The F-33 I was in had HORRIBLE aft CG issues.  With four adults and 80 lbs of bags, the airplane was at the aft CG limit for takeoff.  And a Bonanza CG moves aft with fuel burn.  You couldn't land the airplane in CG.  The best thing I can say about the Bonanza is that it was fast.  Just loafing, it would do 160 knots.

Your right the heyday of the 1970-80's are gone!

it costs to much for the average young guy/gal to get into aviation.

when we started it seemed expensive but not out of control, now if we can find a way to get the younger generation in the air..maybe you'd be able to sell all those Mooneys yet to be produced.

when I was a little kid sky king was my insperation ..dudes trying to go to the moon..Jayne Mansfield in her. DC3.. it was a dream now only if we could get this generation to have the desire to take to the air?

• Like 1

Its not only the money, its also no longer the prestigious thing it used to be.  A young guy would rather be seen in his $70,000 BMW then be out at the airport cleaning the belly of his airplane. Training is also a bit more work than sitting on the sofa playing a video game.

• Like 1

First of all Rik, congratulations on your PPL! 

The M20J is arguably the best and most refined airplane Mooney ever built.

It's the highest performing and most efficient airplane in its class. 

Here is a very informative article.

http://www.mooneyland.com/why-mooney/

Edited by PTK
  • Like 1

Its not only the money, its also no longer the prestigious thing it used to be.  A young guy would rather be seen in his $70,000 BMW then be out at the airport cleaning the belly of his airplane. Training is also a bit more work than sitting on the sofa playing a video game.

I flew today for an hour  and cleaned the belly for 5 hours . I am so sore. I was planning on pulling it out on the ramp and taking some pictures of the "Full moon over my Mooney"  but drats it is clouding up..

I had a fun time cleaning the belly,listing to my aircraft radio a Mooney ,N21434 flew in ,first one I saw at Altoona,then he left . Great day anyway

Just transitioned to a Mooney M20C from a Cherokee.  The Mooney flies just fine, really nothing adverse to report.  It does the same stuff, just a whole lot faster.  I have to admit, the Mooney is a royal pain the six to land, but I seem to be conquering those demons.  I doubt strongly it is any worse than any other complex aircraft, but admittedly I haven't flown any other complex aircraft, so I really can't say.

First congrats on passing your checkride! My advice is to go fly in one of each type. Bonanzas are great for useful load and Mooney have better speed but more suited for 1-2 people. 

bonanzas are generally faster especially the 285hp version.  

Just transitioned to a Mooney M20C from a Cherokee.  The Mooney flies just fine, really nothing adverse to report.  It does the same stuff, just a whole lot faster.  I have to admit, the Mooney is a royal pain the six to land, but I seem to be conquering those demons.  I doubt strongly it is any worse than any other complex aircraft, but admittedly I haven't flown any other complex aircraft, so I really can't say.

A mooney is not a royal pain in the six to land. You have to treat them like the fine women they are. You cant horse them like a $5 whore or a Cherokee or they will smite you. Use your gentle hands, be precise, put her in the right position and she will respond with a gentle kiss of the runway.

• Like 2