Getting Mooney Time

druidjaidan

"You could have your instructor fly the plane with you for five hours and self insure for those five hours. It's not illegal. "

I really was close to doing this, I think the possibility of financial ruin is slim . But it worked out for me ok.

You could also have him taxi it around for five hours since any time under motion is loggable. What a great use of AvGas.

Might want to check your FARs on that one.

14 CFR 1.1:

Flight time means:

(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing; or

(2) For a glider without self-launch capability, pilot time that commences when the glider is towed for the purpose of flight and ends when the glider comes to rest after landing.

Might want to check your FARs on that one.

14 CFR 1.1:

Flight time means:

(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing; or

(2) For a glider without self-launch capability, pilot time that commences when the glider is towed for the purpose of flight and ends when the glider comes to rest after landing.

Just have the purpose of flight in your mind :-)

• Like 1

I think my problem is solved. Found out from a CFI over on the pacificnorthwestflying.com forums that one of the nearby schools has a J model for for complex training. Only annoying because it's the most expensive school in the area. Oh well I guess.

You might check with Gerry Coon at Auburn (S50).  He has lots of time in a Mooney and owns a J.  Last I checked his rates were $40/hour and you do the training in your own plane.  He also did not charge for ground time, only airborne time.  If you want his number PM me.

Bob

I started my instrument training when I got my mooney.  Ironically, my CFII didn't meet the open pilot clause, so I had to add him to the policy.  Mine actually required 10 dual/10 solo before flying passengers.

Meeting the open pilot clause only means the plane is insured. It will do nothing to protect the CFII from subrogation from the insurance company to recover any of their losses, which they will do in a heart beat. It is why I require to be added as named insured to my students policies, even though I carry a small non owned policy and can meet the open pilot warranty. I will not bet my small estate and wife' future because someone doesn't want to go thru this simple process. To carry a non owned policy for the hull value of a new Mooney Acclaim (effectively the same as being named insured) would make the instruction rates astronomical, so it is easier for the owner to provide this waiver and named insured endorsement for no additional cost.  

• Like 2