Cheap GPSS solution, can it work, is it worth it ???

I don't think I've seen her before. You add some more ladies to your harem? :unsure:

As to the OP's question, what options are available for his AP? I got the STEC GPSS which obviously won't work for his setup. I bought one used from ebay and had it installed. Considering how much the other avionics cost, the GPSS was relatively inexpensive in comparison. I'm thinking <$2k installed. The icarus unit was another option available to me at the time, but it was a good bit more expensive, and I was fine with a simple GPSS.

You have seen her before. She just lost a little weight...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm definitely not an avionics expert, but I don't think you need a GPSS to guide your AP with an HSI or DG. Someone has already mentioned it, but the GPSS simply converts the GPS digital signal to an analog signal the AP understands. My plane would follow the heading bug before the GPSS install, but I wanted it to follow the 430W flight plan.

In my setup, I keep the AP in HDG mode, but use the GPSS button to swap sources b/t the DG or GPS. Like I said earlier, I'm not familiar with the Century AP, so I don't know what options you have for it.

Unfortunately, I think without the GPSS he needs to slew the heading bug to the new course heading every time there is a course change. For you 430 guys, I think it is the same as when you get the pop up on the 430 that stays to change the CDI to the new heading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The KLN90B sets a small flashing light on the instrument panel.

Really good, if your eyes are not looking outside all the time. IFR in VMC...

There are two similar challenges...

1) arrive at a waypoint, turn the Nav/heading knob...

2) arrive at an altitude target, push the ALT hold button...

Getting distracted allows you to miss both challenges.

GPSS seems to solve the first one. Altitude alert may solve the second.

Being superhuman or having AOPA legal support may make a good plan B.

I got pretty good at turning the knob so that the turn actually started and finished on the magenta lines...

Don't wait to get to the waypoint. That is inefficient....

Go GPSS and Alt alert.

Best regards,

-a-