Little tip for the Cheapskates

StinkBug

13 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

I was all excited, (being a true CB), when I read the title to the thread.  Imagine my chagrin when it was about XM.  That's Xtra Money) spent to those unfamilar.  Any Company that has your credit card and charges you every month should be avoided like the plague.  (THAT is CB-101)

Money well spent is getting "FREE" Weather and installing a line in for your music player.  You get YOUR music all the time that way with ability to "skip" a song when you want to.  A GDL-39 IS free weather as it has value and can be paid for in a short amount of time.  Bonus is that you can take advantage of Pilot on your I-Pad and get charting and weather at airports with a couple of pushes on the i-pad screen.

I spit on any and all monthy bills...except my enclosed hanger that is $88 bucks a month.  A bargain for this CB.

You all enjoy your "value" on XM...

NOPE.

Even better than a gdl-39 by that definition is a "Stratux"

no... Not stratus... Stratux- the open sourced software used on a device you build, using parts from Amazon for ~$130.00, which works with any stratus compatable EFB.  Like FlyQ EFB.  Which just did its lifetime subscription promo again for Black Friday.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

I was all excited, (being a true CB), when I read the title to the thread.  Imagine my chagrin when it was about XM.  That's Xtra Money) spent to those unfamilar.  Any Company that has your credit card and charges you every month should be avoided like the plague.  (THAT is CB-101)

Money well spent is getting "FREE" Weather and installing a line in for your music player.  You get YOUR music all the time that way with ability to "skip" a song when you want to.  A GDL-39 IS free weather as it has value and can be paid for in a short amount of time.  Bonus is that you can take advantage of Pilot on your I-Pad and get charting and weather at airports with a couple of pushes on the i-pad screen.

I spit on any and all monthy bills...except my enclosed hanger that is $88 bucks a month.  A bargain for this CB.

You all enjoy your "value" on XM...

NOPE.

I agree to an extent. I don't mind spending up front money as much as I hate recurring costs, subscriptions, etc. But I recognize the world doesn't always work like I want it to. If the monthly price is low enough, and the product good enough, I will bite the bullet. I prefer XM weather depiction to Foreflight. I also like the XM being on my 696, and only use Foreflight/IPad for charts. So I am seriously considering picking up the marine version as I dropped aviation XM when I got Foreflight.

• Like 1

I just looked up that GDL-39 and found it listed for $599. At $9/month it would take me 67 months to pay for that, not including tax or shipping. You can bash monthly payments all you want, but unless you're planning to keep your plane more than 6 years you're wasting money taking that route. Also XM doesn't have to charge monthly, you actually get a discount for just paying a full year up front, so then your argument makes even less sense.

It's your money to waste though. Doesn't bother me any. Some of us would rather actually save money rather than just screaming "it's free!" when really it's anything but.

2 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

GDL-39 plays on 696-wired.  Gets power there too.  Blue-tooth from GDL-39 to i-pad.  Two free for none.

Also displays on the Aera 500 series, on a display bigger than the 430.  (Not as big as Scott's 696, though.  Nice!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On November 28, 2015 at 3:07 PM, aviatoreb said:

I don't know.  Just tell them you installed your GDL69 in your boat?

So I told them I installed my GDL69 in my boat or something close to that effect.   The CSR said "well it's a garmin radio isn't it?  It should work..."    Guess what... I'm still getting Metars and NEXRAD on the 430 with the GDL69.  Now I had forgotten to have the radio sent a refresh ping, but in doubtful that would mess it up.  I'm pretty happy this so far. 

• Like 1