Aspen Training Recommendation

bhilgy

Well I booked a September install for a PFD1000 Pro to replace my failing AI and original DG.  I'm also going with the EA100 interface to my KAP150....I have roll steering now.  Interesting that my AI completely failed the day after I booked the install!  (It had over 2400 hours so it was time)

I'm looking for feedback on how those of you making the conversion have shortened the learning curve on working with your new Aspen?

While you're at it, should I go with Synthetic Vision?  (I know there are other posts covering this but what the heck)

I've only flown a couple of friend's planes with an Aspen and haven't gone for it yet myself.  Penciled-in for next year.  I didn't think it was all that difficult, but I'm glad I didn't jump right in to IMC work immediately.  I would just start by downloading the manual(s) and reading them several times.  I did that and "got it" pretty quickly.  When it comes time to fly it, grab a safety pilot and a good VMC day and then just go practice.  I went with a friend right after his install, and we checked A/P ops with both GPS and VOR nav sources, GPSS with a couple approaches, heading bug, etc.  

You might want to add a 3-way GPS ground speed run check with tracks 120 degrees apart (TRACKS, not headings) to check TAS against what the Aspen displays.  If you have another OAT then check that as well.  Otherwise, not much to it.

You'll love it.  I'm not a fan of Syn Vis, but some like it.  You can add it later.

If you are already familiar with the GPS buttonology, the Aspen PFD will be easy. I do wish Aspen produced a video trainer like Garmin did for the 650/750. If you go through the manual a few times to find where stuff resides, you'll be fine. Be prepared for a mental shift on the AI. The mechanical AI doesn't look like it is moving when you compare it to what the Aspen unit does.

As for SV, if you live in the hilly part of the country, you will get more benefit out of it than us flatlanders.

I have had the PFD1000 for almost 2 years. While everyone is different, you should not have any problems adjusting when VFR. You'll still have steam gauges for airspeed, AI and altimeter and you will probably be looking at them quite a bit at first until you get use to the tapes. 

There are quite a few nice features that you have not had with steam. If you have a GPS tied in I suppose you'll have GPSS and TAS. GPSS is great but it will take a little practice to find out in which conditions it will go suspend. Before doing a real approach you'll want to be comfortable that you understand the whys and wherefores.

I do not have SV. The screen is pretty small and I am not sure it would be worth having but someone who has it may give you better advice. (I have a big screen GTN750 so situational awareness is not a problem. It can always be added. Just add money and stir.

If you are already familiar with the GPS buttonology, the Aspen PFD will be easy. I do wish Aspen produced a video trainer like Garmin did for the 650/750. If you go through the manual a few times to find where stuff resides, you'll be fine. Be prepared for a mental shift on the AI. The mechanical AI doesn't look like it is moving when you compare it to what the Aspen unit does.

As for SV, if you live in the hilly part of the country, you will get more benefit out of it than us flatlanders.

I have been flying with my aspen for nearly three years. I love it. However, I have to say that I still look more at the altimeter and the IAS instead of the tappers on the aspen.

Regarding SV I use it a lot. It really helps you when you fly in a mountainous area like I do. If you want to check out how I use the SV check it out in my YouTube channel oavalle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

I have been flying with my aspen for nearly three years. I love it. However, I have to say that I still look more at the altimeter and the IAS instead of the tappers on the aspen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My fix for this Oscar was to fly a few hours with them covered. It is hard to break trained, entrenched habits.