OP ED-"Little Timmy Wants to Know Why Nobody Likes Airplanes Anymore?

So you are agreeing that the Corporate taxes in the US are excessive and should be reduced?

:-)

I've always felt it should be more competitive. Remember, my original post was simply about American's perception that corporations pay a 35% tax rate.

Flyboy4 44,

You should consider yourself very lucky, many of my father's patients have seen deductibles go as high as $7k for individuals and up to $16k for family coverage. My father saw his BCBS policy cancelled at the beginning of this year and replaced with one that was and extra $400 per month (he now has pediatric care among others and his oldest child is 23). Most of his patients are blue collar to  low income families and there is your problem. If you are well off you are annoyed with the new expense, if you are middle class to low income you are now faced with a huge problem and one that was not there prior to the ACA. If it's such a great program why delay provisions of the mandate until after the 2016 elections?   

Flyboy4 44,

You should consider yourself very lucky, many of my father's patients have seen deductibles go as high as $7k for individuals and up to $16k for family coverage. My father saw his policy cancelled at the beginning of this year and replaced with one that was and extra $400 per month. Most of his patients are blue collar to  low income families and there is your problem. If you are well off you are annoyed with the new expense, if you are middle class to low income you are now faced with a huge problem and one that was not there prior to the ACA. If it's such a great program why delay provisions of the mandate until after the 2016 elections?   

ACA is going to be a sore point for many years to come in this country. Just like every other federal program, it will evolve over time and I believe some of its shortcomings will be addressed. The issue of deductibles is a real concern, although your numbers are slightly off. ACA mandates a maximum family deductible of $12,500 ($6,250 for individuals), but if you don't have it there's little difference between $16k and $12k. But by the same token, when we had coverage through my wife's job, the deductibles had crept up to $7,600 a year from zero over a period of six years.

As far as low income people are concerned, there is a program which pays for all out-of-pocket expenses when their income is less than (I think) $40k. For middle income people the out-of-pocket expenses could prevent them from seeking care once they realize they are on the hook for several grand. This is one aspect of ACA that I didn't care for from the start.

My take on the mandate delay was due to so much damned pushback from the business community.

If I had my way, I would eliminate all mandates in a few years. At that time I'd be willing to bet that most American's would keep their coverage.

Here in Florida we have a wide variety of plans to choose from, ranging from bare bones (Bronze) coverage to low deductible, high premium Platinum. When deciding what plan to go with one really has to do the math, and carefully. If you don't believe you will need much care, then opt for the lowest premium, highest deductible and consider it a catastrophic policy. Conversely, if you have a chronic illness then you have to weigh what you can afford in terms of a premium and what you will utilize (and pay out for deductibles) during the year.

I'd be curious to know if your dad saw an increase in patients since January.

Yes he did, as a matter of fact, a large increase in Medicaid patients.... reimbursements are sometimes 1/3 of a private insurance, it's peachy!   

ACA combined with high corporate taxes in the state of Illinois has not been a good combination. Why do business here when you can go to Wisconsin, Indiana, Texas or even Florida.   

Yes he did, as a matter of fact, a large increase in Medicaid patients.... reimbursements are sometimes 1/3 of a private insurance, it's peachy!   

ACA combined with high corporate taxes in the state of Illinois has not been a good combination. Why do business here when you can go to Wisconsin, Indiana, Texas or even Florida.   

I don't believe he's obligated to accept Medicaid patients, but I'm not familiar with Illinois law.

I wish all those companies that are fed up with high state taxes would come down here, but that hasn't been the case. There's always room for one more.

Isn't it amazing that private insurance pays 3x the rate that Medicare does? Doctors wouldn't take Medicare if they didn't make something on it, so the private insurance payment or self pay are then charged 300% or more of the cost of services.

And we wonder why we have a problem

He's not obligated to accept Medicaid or Medicare, he is however obligated to make a living. Don't you worry though it seems you are living a utopian dream...

I'm not a utopian, but I believe that if a person is arrested that they have a right to a lawyer and if they get sick they should have the right to a doctor, and not go bankrupt as a result. Just the way I feel.

I'm not a utopian, but I believe that if a person is arrested that they have a right to a lawyer and if they get sick they should have the right to a doctor, and not go bankrupt as a result. Just the way I feel.

If I'm hungry, do I have a right to a meal? Something better than fast food, heated in winter and air conditioned in summer? What about my right to a house? And a car, automatic, power everything, AC?

Surely I don't need to work for these things?

Most Emergency Rooms treat patients who cannot afford to pay, for free. I've been trying all summer to hire people, six or eight good ones. Too many want the paycheck but don't want to inspect molded plastic parts . . . One quit rather than mop the floor around the machine. No job-- should mean less benefits. Otherwise why work?

If I'm hungry, do I have a right to a meal? Something better than fast food, heated in winter and air conditioned in summer? What about my right to a house? And a car, automatic, power everything, AC?

Surely I don't need to work for these things?

Most Emergency Rooms treat patients who cannot afford to pay, for free. I've been trying all summer to hire people, six or eight good ones. Too many want the paycheck but don't want to inspect molded plastic parts . . . One quit rather than mop the floor around the machine. No job-- should mean less benefits. Otherwise why work?

It's a hopeless argument I see.

By your response can I assume you don't believe American's should have the right to a lawyer either?

The Constitution guarantees your right to a lawyer, even if you can't afford one, if you are accused of a crime. Am I entitled to the free use a a lawyer to write my will, sue my neighbors or whatever else comes to mind?

We are guaranteed Life, Liberty and the Pursuit if happiness. We are not guaranteed a good life, happiness or that we will have everything the neighbors have or that we see in satires or on TV. Solomon said it best millennia ago, the desires of the eyes are without end. There are no guarantees on what you will achieve, and in this country, there used to be no limit on what you can achieve if you work hard for it.

The Constitution guarantees your right to a lawyer, even if you can't afford one, if you are accused of a crime. Am I entitled to the free use a a lawyer to write my will, sue my neighbors or whatever else comes to mind?

We are guaranteed Life, Liberty and the Pursuit if happiness. We are not guaranteed a good life, happiness or that we will have everything the neighbors have or that we see in satires or on TV. Solomon said it best millennia ago, the desires of the eyes are without end. There are no guarantees on what you will achieve, and in this country, there used to be no limit on what you can achieve if you work hard for it.

Um Hank, Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness appear in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution.

But technicalities aside, to me the word "Life" means many things, one of them being the sanctity and preservation of it. How does one preserve it when they are sickly, treatment is available but it's only obtainable to those who can afford it? How could one pursue happiness if they are infirmed?

Who the heck is 'Little Timmy'?

If his headed hasn't exploded yet, hopefully Timmy learned the following through these exchanges:

1. There are two types of Americans. Those that believe we as a society are in this together, and those who believe that it's every man for himself.

2. That there are certain essential services that the government needs to provide. There are those that believe the government has no place providing any services whatsoever.

3. Those that believe that if you are diagnosed with a life altering or threatening disease that you should be able to receive the treatment that is required. Some believe that if you can't afford the care, it's your own fault for not doing better in life.

4. There are some that believe that regardless of success in life, the elderly should be able to seek healthcare without worrying about choosing between it and becoming homeless.  There are those that see the elderly as a tremendous drain on society and that they should pay for their own healthcare through use of life savings (if any).

5. There are some that take news stories reported in the media with a grain of salt and realize there's some truth, bias and pixie dust mixed in. Other's believe what they hear and read - lock, stock and barrel - as the truth and spread the word via mass emails which contain poor grammar, spelling errors and bold faced upper case letters with lots of underlining and exclamation points.

6. Some believe that by it very nature and stature that the office of the presidency deserves a minimum amount of respect regardless of who occupies it. There are some that seek to destroy and bring it down the moment the other party wins, and declares that it's the aim of the losing party to make sure the president serves only one term, no matter what it takes or how it affects the citizenry and their constituents.

So scottfromiowa wanted me to let you know he can't participate in this at the time as he got a two week suspension for some dialog between him and another member in a private message.

I guess he got a spanking.

Ok take care all.

Aaron

So scottfromiowa wanted me to let you know he can't participate in this at the time as he got a two week suspension for some dialog between him and another member in a private message.

I guess he got a spanking.

Ok take care all.

Aaron

That's one way to spin it.