Flying Past Atlanta

Hank

BSCE from Purdue, but the Engineering firm I had worked for recently did a lot of M&E work for Auburn, the student center, sports complex etc. Ill be going there in May to work with a new Mooney owner. Hopefully, I can beg a ride from someone here instead of a one way commercial tix and car rental, as we will fly his plane back to the Clearwater area for training.

Mike Elliott

LEED AP, MCFI

All you Auburn graduates probably remember that Auburn was talking seriously about closing down flight training with various plans to modify/close the aviation degree programs.

Apparently, the flight school graduates were pulling down the "average starting salary" numbers for the business school.  ($19/hr for aspiring regional first officers!)

Happily a donor stepped up with a $70 million inducement to the Business school to keep the aviation programs alive.  The donor just happens to operate a flight department out of BHM.

I haven't flown to AUO in quite awhile.  Has the airport shown signs of reinvigoration?

I landed there last week to drop someone off.  The new FBO on the East side is very nice. I believe it is owned by the University.  I have a coworker who lives in Auburn and has tried to rent a plane there before. He was told nothing was available unless you were a student at the university.

BSEE from Auburn

Check it out here: www.auoairport.com

It's an impressive building, spacious ramp, lots of fencing.

Yes, it looks like it is a totally different place than when my son flew out of there..

I also checked out the comments about the new facility on Airnav.com and found this gem:   :lol:

I fly many different aircraft into AUO. I recently performed a maintenance flight on a Baron and decided to go there. With no notice....... Check Notams and the AirNav site............. They have recently implemented a ramp fee on ALL aircraft landing at AUO. This is ridiculous in my opinion and should be stopped. I will in the future go elsewhere if possible. FYI.............. TCL for the Alabama folks you are NOT charged a ramp fee......... 

Hmmm. The building was locked when I arrived Sunday night, but when I called yesterday they said parking is $6/day, much less than I have paid at other places. There was no mention of a ramp fee.

You might be thinking of the University flight program, run on the other side of the field in WWII-vintage buildings. They are scheduled to be replaced, I think.