Navstrobe lights

Htwjr

You don't need a Hoskins power supply or strobe tube to keep your Mooney flashing. The Whelen tube works with the Hoskins power supply and the Hoskins power supply can be replaced with most common Whelen units. Simply swap two wires in the connector.

Also a grimes tail light glass lens fits perfect and is way better than the Hoskins plastic one.

http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/Catalog%20Price%20Lists%20and%20Manuals/Anti-Collision_Light_Systems_Installation_and_Service_Manual.pdfpost-7887-0-54086100-1436534967_thumb.jp

• Like 1

You don't need a Hoskins power supply or strobe tube to keep your Mooney flashing. The Whelen tube works with the Hoskins power supply and the Hoskins power supply can be replaced with most common Whelen units. Simply swap two wires in the connector.

Also a grimes tail light glass lens fits perfect and is way better than the Hoskins plastic one.

http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/Catalog%20Price%20Lists%20and%20Manuals/Anti-Collision_Light_Systems_Installation_and_Service_Manual.pdfattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Good to know.   And I guess I'm sticking with traditional position light bulbs until there's a PMA'd low cost LED alternative.   

Hank If you look closely at your tip lights you will notice that the aft wall of the tip light cut out

is NOT perpendicular to the fuselage center line but angles slightly aft @20 degrees more to account for

the 110 degree included angle of viewing.

Below is just one section of Part 23 that governs how to design and qualify position lights on a certified airplane.

As you can see, any changes to the TSO that the original lighting system was certified with makes it illegal

unless full testing is done and qualification received.

Sec. 23.1389 — Position light distribution and intensities.

(a) General. The intensities prescribed in this section must be provided by new equipment with each light cover and color filter in place. Intensities must be determined with the light source operating at a steady value equal to the average luminous output of the source at the normal operating voltage of the airplane. The light distribution and intensity of each position light must meet the requirements of paragraph ( B) of this section.

( B) Position lights. The light distribution and intensities of position lights must be expressed in terms of minimum intensities in the horizontal plane, minimum intensities in any vertical plane, and maximum intensities in overlapping beams, within dihedral angles L, R, and A, and must meet the following requirements:

(1) Intensities in the horizontal plane. Each intensity in the horizontal plane (the plane containing the longitudinal axis of the airplane and perpendicular to the plane of symmetry of the airplane) must equal or exceed the values in §23.1391.

(2) Intensities in any vertical plane. Each intensity in any vertical plane (the plane perpendicular to the horizontal plane) must equal or exceed the appropriate value in §23.1393, where I is the minimum intensity prescribed in §23.1391 for the corresponding angles in the horizontal plane.

(3) Intensities in overlaps between adjacent signals. No intensity in any overlap between adjacent signals may exceed the values in §23.1395, except that higher intensities in overlaps may be used with main beam intensities substantially greater than the minima specified in §§23.1391 and 23.1393, if the overlap intensities in relation to the main beam intensities do not adversely affect signal clarity. When the peak intensity of the left and right position lights is more than 100 candles, the maximum overlap intensities between them may exceed the values in §23.1395 if the overlap intensity in Area A is not more than 10 percent of peak position light intensity and the overlap intensity in Area B is not more than 2.5 percent of peak position light intensity.

© Rear position light installation. A single rear position light may be installed in a position displaced laterally from the plane of symmetry of an airplane if—

(1) The axis of the maximum cone of illumination is parallel to the flight path in level flight; and

(2) There is no obstruction aft of the light and between planes 70 degrees to the right and left of the axis of maximum illumination.

[Doc. No. 4080, 29 FR 17955, Dec. 18, 1964, as amended by Amdt. 23–43, 58 FR 18977, Apr. 9, 1993]

NEXT: Sec. 23.1391 - Minimum intensities in the horizontal plane of position lights.

PREVIOUS: Sec. 23.1387 - Position light system dihedral angles.

The real test is whether you can name everyone of those fine ladies...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think I could too... my wife tells me to get a life when I am reading and responding... 

About navlights, let me tell you a story: I installed a new set of strobe/navlights. They look great and at night they are really bright. Of course LEDs. I was very proud and on several occasions ATC congratulated me to the nice navlights and strobes. But there was something with those lights that I did not feel comfortable with. I could not nail down what it was. Each time I turned them on I felt that something was wrong. I had that feeling for about a year, until the other day I was coming back from MIA on a 737 and I looked out the window (I was sitting on the right side of the plane) and I saw a green navlight. At that point, I discovered what was wrong all that time, the lights were installed backwards! The AP had installed them backwards! The green was on the left side and the red on the right. I had them like that for a year and nobody had noticed! 

So after I landed I went to my hangar and checked to see if indeed the lights had to be switched and they had to... So I cursed myself, got a screwdriver and changed the lights...

Lesson learned: Trust, but verify....

At least he remembered "red on the right," he just forgot that it was supposed to be an onCOMING perspective rather than an onBOARD perspective!

I learned the "port wine" technique. "Port has 4 letters like LEFT and port wine is red". Funny how something like that sticks in your memory...

Almost up there with "Lefty loosey, righty tighty".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There's no "gray area" when it comes to replacement parts for Type Certificated aircraft:

5. Who Needs A PMA?

a. General Requirements. Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations
(14 CFR)
§ 21.303(a) requires any person producing replacement or modification parts for sale for installation on a type-certificated product to get a PMA. A PMA is a combined design and production approval for replacement parts. Also we may use a PMA for the production of modification parts from supplemental type certificates (STC). The prior STC approves the design and installation of these modification parts in products. However, if any replacement part alters a product by introducing a major change, then 14 CFR § 21.113 requires an STC for the approval of these parts. See FAA Order 8110.4, Type Certification, for STC procedures.

b. Getting a PMA for Technical Standard Order (TSO) Articles. We at the FAA may issue a PMA for replacement parts for articles produced under a TSO authorization when these articles are in the product’s type design. Then the replacement part is for the eligible product not the article. The installation of a PMA part may result in a minor design change in a TSO article yet meet the product’s airworthiness requirements. We require the installer of this part to place a modifier’s nameplate on the article. See FAA Order 8150.1, Technical Standard Order Program, for more details. Replacement parts approved under the basis of identicality do not change the article’s design and do not require a modifier’s nameplate. 

The NavStrobe bulbs, and paddle style LED's are sold as replacement parts, so they require a PMA. Or an STC, or Field Approval. End of story.

The GE 4322 bulb that goes in the standard Nav light housing bears no PMA. Neither does the AN525 screw holding the housing on. They are standard parts.

However I don't think you can say the same for the LED nab strobe lights, it's beam pattern isn't spherical enough.

The GE 4322 bulb that goes in the standard Nav light housing bears no PMA. Neither does the AN525 screw holding the housing on. They are standard parts.

However I don't think you can say the same for the LED nab strobe lights, it's beam pattern isn't spherical enough.

Those parts are accepted as part of the Type Design, and do not require a PMA when the manufacturer installed them.

When you replace them, you must use the same parts, from the same source, or go to a PMA holder for their equivalent part. 

Navigation lamps are different from standard parts because they are required to meet color & visibility requirements. So the wingtip nav lamps , which have reflectors built in, are indeed all PMA approved parts. And GE holds a PMA for all of its aircraft lamps, because they are required to do so in order to offer them for sale to aviation markets

I was reading a notice of proposed rule making (I couldn't sleep) from the mid 90's when the FAA clarified their stance on what qualifies as standard parts and what qualifies as needing an STC or PMA. I am not an aviation bureaucrat but rules made exceptions for items that had organization standards applied (IEEE was used as an example for transistors or other things that go in your avionics) and/or met a TSO. It seems that before part 23 was changed that lightbulb were considered standard parts and afterward they were not.

Maybe it's just a &£^* lightbulb and maybe it's more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk