A Mooney Stall

During a conversation at a nearby airport this morning with a former Mooney owner/pilot, the fellow stated that "performing a power on stall with 75% power in a Mooney will cause the aircraft to roll over on its back".  I have never heard of this.  Opinions/experiences of such are welcome please.

Does it have to be exactly 75% power? Actually, come to think of it, I don't see how anyone could make such a statement - the airplane's not going to roll onto its back unless you allow it to do so. I've done power on stalls in my Mooney multiple times and have never come close.

My mooney only has 180 hp but it climbs like a bat outa .... In anycase whether it would go on its back or not i would slow the plane down to landing speed then add the power and stall just to save wear on the engine but I agree that if the ball is centered it won't do that

There is an article out there about a commercial student doing cross controlled stalls with the plane winding up on its back qucikly and regularly.  Haven't read it in awhile, but I believe it was a long body. 

But in the context of full power stalls they may be talking about 75 % being enough to stand the Mooney on its tail, then it falls over backwards.  Haven't had that experience, but I do my practice stalls at 60 in my K. 

Back in the day....Mooney's were rumored to "drop a wing" meaning one side would stall sooner than the other.  This high "bank angle" could be disconcerting and take longer to recover from.  I was told it could go 90 degrees, if uncared for.

After a decade of M20C ownership, I have experienced some (intentional) stalls where the wings would stall slightly unevenly 5 or 10 degrees of bank.  Normal stall recovery techniques return things to proper order.

Like anything else in aviation, wait too long, or not recognize the impending stall, and your milage may vary incredibly.  Weight and balance probably adds significantly to the results.

Now compare a slightly uneven M20C stall to an Ercoupe or other known docile stall of a high wing trainer....

I would be interested if somebody can point me to the aritcle of the commercial student in the long body that JL has referenced.

Best regards,

-a-

Quote: Mitch

During a conversation at a nearby airport this morning with a former Mooney owner/pilot, the fellow stated that "performing a power on stall with 75% power in a Mooney will cause the aircraft to roll over on its back".  I have never heard of this.  Opinions/experiences of such are welcome please.

What a distrubing youtube video.  I don't think that was an intentional spin!  Power on stalls and slow flight I can really stand my '66 E up, but I REALLY make sure my ball is centered.  An uncoordinated stall in my Mooney will get a VERY pronounced wing drop.  KEEP THAT BALL CENTERED!  I did one without centering the ball ONCE...Don't want to go there again.  Mooney's loose a lot of altitude in a spin.  I would NEVER intentionally spin my aircraft...

After that high profile stall spin on (3-fatal) final (Very high time Mooney pilot in right seat) I am extremely conscious of bank angle and airspeed on turn to final in the pattern.  Down low a stall is end of the road...Don't go there.

Nice use of shoulder harness's (NOT) during landing and flight.  Any CFI I ever flew with WOULD NOT allow what took place in this video!  Good what NOT to do training.

When I bought my current mooney it was way out of rig. During a BFR I did a power on stall and it almost snap rolled. Shortly after that I re-rigged the plane, gained 15 knots and now it stalls nice and straight. The point is that a Mooney mis-rigged bad enough might actually roll inverted during a power on stall.

Quote: Mitch

Perhaps if your feet are on the floor?

In my airplane, practicing power on stalls (simulating departure stalls, where you enter the maneuver close to rotation speed, go to full or climb power, establish an excessive nose-up pitch attiude, and wait for the stall) demands a LOT (nearly full) right rudder deflection to keep the ball centered to counteract the effects of p-factor & spiraling slipstream.

ok 2 questions here! why is he stalling the plane with somebody in the back seat which im sure the faa gods would not take kindly to and why is he stalling a plane with what appears to be 2 passengers with at most very little flight time in a small plane and maybe none? im sure by trying to impress them with his flying skills he probably scared them from aviation altogether. btw it sounded like he did not do the spin intentionally because if you listen to the audio he adds full power and didnt take power out for quite awhile after the spin started and he laughs nervously stating and thats how you get out of a spin.imo he needs to go back to decision making class.

Comment on the statement and then a comment on the youtube video.

Statement:  I think whoever made this comment must have been taking a specific event and using it to create a generalization.  As the saying goes, "All generalizations are false, including this one".  If you use proper technique with a power on stall (75% or  otherwise), keep the ball centered and properly recover, the airplane will not roll over on its back (I assume from a rolling motion).  If you cross control like any other plane watch out.

Video:  Without knowing the skill level of this pilot if that were my son and I were sitting in the back seat when we landed I would be inclined to punch his lights out.  I tend to think that the spin was intentional because he recovered very quickly although the addition of power and his comment makes you wonder.  We can't see the rudder or the ball but it seemed to me that he did have the yoke turned.  If it was unintentional he sorely needs some air work.  Also bugs me that there were no shoulder harnesses being worn.  This is a pilot who is way too cavalier about his flying.  Old pilots and bold pilots........

Quote: ehscott

Comment on the statement and then a comment on the youtube video.

Statement:  I think whoever made this comment must have been taking a specific event and using it to create a generalization.  As the saying goes, "All generalizations are false, including this one".  If you use proper technique with a power on stall (75% or  otherwise), keep the ball centered and properly recover, the airplane will not roll over on its back (I assume from a rolling motion).  If you cross control like any other plane watch out.

Video:  Without knowing the skill level of this pilot if that were my son and I were sitting in the back seat when we landed I would be inclined to punch his lights out.  I tend to think that the spin was intentional because he recovered very quickly although the addition of power and his comment makes you wonder.  We can't see the rudder or the ball but it seemed to me that he did have the yoke turned.  If it was unintentional he sorely needs some air work.  Also bugs me that there were no shoulder harnesses being worn.  This is a pilot who is way too cavalier about his flying.  Old pilots and bold pilots........