Aeroshell 15W or 100W?

We have been using the Aeroshell 15W50 for a while, Our oil temps seem to be rising (along with the summer temps) . Mike buschs recent article about oil highly disagrees with using Aeroshell 15W because it is only half syntehtic and recommneds philllips 66 XC or if you are using Aeroshell go with the 100W. Our A&P also said we coud switch to 100W. Just wanted to see what others are using? IO360 600hrs.

Thanks,

Mark

15W50 is "multigrade" think 15W to 50W depending upon temp. "Areoshell 100" a trade name, is straight 50W. I doubt there is any such thing as 100W as an aircraft engine oil. Grease. 

I change oil and oil filter before 50 hours. With this change I am going to start oil analysis to build a pattern. But I fly less than 75 hours per year.

15W50 is "multigrade" think 15W to 50W depending upon temp. "Areoshell 100" a trade name, is straight 50W. I doubt there is any such thing as 100W as an aircraft engine oil. Grease. 

I change oil and oil filter before 50 hours. With this change I am going to start oil analysis to build a pattern. But I fly less than 75 hours per year.

Got it, Thanks Bob.

I also don't see the point of running a synthetic in an engine where the oil is changed every 50-100 hours.

+1 - we have tried synthetic and dino oils in our racecars for years - both work fine - synthetic if you need more power, dino if you want to save $$ 

Stay away from 15W50. Google mike Busch's webinar "All About Oil" and give it a watch. Aeroshell 15W50 is the ONLY oil he has his clients swap out. Basically he goes with Aeroshell 100 and a will know additive. In winter months he recommends X/C 20W50+ an additive.

Multi visc may have merit during extreme cold but as I see it that would be the only advantage.

Synthetics give the same flow properties of multi visc plus "added protection for extended oil drains which was more a byproduct of cleaner burning engines and fuels not something that really applies to us

Straight weight oil is protective, less expensive and serves its purpose for cooling and suspending contamanents until we drain it at 50 hours or sooner.

I don't think any of these oils will hurt your engine if you fly regularly and change the oil every couple of months. If your engine sits inactive for long periods in cold and humid conditions it might matter.

We are lucky here in Arizona, nothing rusts.

• Like 1

I don't think any of these oils will hurt your engine if you fly regularly and change the oil every couple of months. If your engine sits inactive for long periods in cold and humid conditions it might matter.

We are lucky here in Arizona, nothing rusts.

And that is Busch's point. If you don't fly frequently by his definition (at least once a week) then the multi viscosity stuff is less likely to coat and protect the cam and other internal hardware. 

I flew for years in northern NY where it would stay cold for extended periods of time. Like the January where it never got above 32F. Even with a good pre-heat, by the time you refueled after a flight, even the 15W50 oil was getting thick.

Stay away from 15W50. Google mike Busch's webinar "All About Oil" and give it a watch. Aeroshell 15W50 is the ONLY oil he has his clients swap out. Basically he goes with Aeroshell 100 and a will know additive. In winter months he recommends X/C 20W50+ an additive.

OK, I just have to ask. Why do folks trust Mike Busch so much? In 2005 Aviation Consumer tested oils and found that 15W50 and Exxon Elite had the best corrosion protection in their test, and the straight weights were the worst. At least that was an objective test with real data.

Mike says this in his AvWeb article, link posted previously.

"During the 70s and 80s, there was a dramatic shift from single-weight to multi-viscosity oils by operators of general aviation aircraft...due in large measure to very effective advertising campaigns by Shell and Mobil that touted their multi-vis products (Aeroshell 15W50 and Mobil AV 1) as the greatest aeronautical innovation since the nosewheel.

During the same 20-year period, there was a dramatic increase in premature engine problems in the owner-flown G.A. fleet. It was not a coincidence."

Is there data supporting this claim?

Larry

Stay away from 15W50. Google mike Busch's webinar "All About Oil" and give it a watch. Aeroshell 15W50 is the ONLY oil he has his clients swap out. Basically he goes with Aeroshell 100 and a will know additive. In winter months he recommends X/C 20W50+ an additive. OK, I just have to ask. Why do folks trust Mike Busch so much? In 2005 Aviation Consumer tested oils and found that 15W50 and Exxon Elite had the best corrosion protection in their test, and the straight weights were the worst. At least that was an objective test with real data. Mike says this in his AvWeb article, link posted previously. "During the 70s and 80s, there was a dramatic shift from single-weight to multi-viscosity oils by operators of general aviation aircraft...due in large measure to very effective advertising campaigns by Shell and Mobil that touted their multi-vis products (Aeroshell 15W50 and Mobil AV 1) as the greatest aeronautical innovation since the nosewheel. During the same 20-year period, there was a dramatic increase in premature engine problems in the owner-flown G.A. fleet. It was not a coincidence." Is there data supporting this claim? Larry
Good question. I have been flying with Aeroshell 15W50 for 22 years and it works for me. There are a lot of claims but very few actual studies to prove it. I would love to see a survey of engine rebuilders who can speak to the quality of the engines they rebuild just based on the oils/additives used. It is easy to gauge wear against hours. Harder to say if one oil protects longer unless you do time studies using various oils in different environmental conditions like the AC folks did.

Well, for what it's worth, the engine shop that overhauled my engine last year, advised me to run my engine on Aeroshell 100 straight oil, not only for the break-in, but for the first 100 hours. I forgot to mention this to the AME during the 50hr oil change and they put in Aeroshell W100.

I immediately noticed that my CHT's were running slightly higher and after a few hours, the oil consumption also increased from about 1q every 12hrs or so to 1q every 4 - 6hrs. At the last annual, I changed back to the straight oil, temps are cooler again and I have now flown about 10 hours without any noticeable difference in the oil level.

Hmmmmm.....I will need to speak with my A&P.  I fly in the Southeast and unfortunately I can't fly every week so my plane sits.  I have always used 15W50 with a cam guard additive but maybe I need to switch on the next oil change to 100W.

My A&P has always put Shell 15/50 in mine at annual and in the winter I would put in Exxon Elite because of what I read. He always said the oil would run hotter with the Exxon but I had a couple cases and am a believer in changing oil more often is cheap insurance. This year he changed his tune and said several engine shops were voiding warranty if Shell multi  was used and has switched to Philips XC . I don't think he put in any Canguard though.

Paul

'77J KIKV