Photo of Johnson Bar boot installation

I installed the Aero Comfort J bar boot today. I will preface this post by saying I have a new downlock from Lasar installed and this boot will not fit correctly in it's current design. I'm going to put in a call to Hector tomorrow at Aero Comfort to talk about the boot installation and some of the difficulties with this install. They can't fix something they don't hear is a problem.

David

I'm working with Hector at Aero Comfort to address some fitting issues with the J bar boot. I sent him pictures of mine and what I modified and why the modification was necessary. He's going to send me a modified boot to install and fit. I'll post some pictures of the new boot design and how it fits when I get the new one.

David

I'm working with Hector at Aero Comfort to address some fitting issues with the J bar boot. I sent him pictures of mine and what I modified and why the modification was necessary. He's going to send me a modified boot to install and fit. I'll post some pictures of the new boot design and how it fits when I get the new one.

David

That's great, looking forward to see how it goes because I will need to do something with mine before too long.

Steve

I installed a fabric boot years ago ( I think Aero comfort).  

I know my Alzheiemrs may be showing ....but it seems to me that I installed mine from underneath the floor.  Not near my hangar right now , so I may be mistaken ( I've had years of practice , being mistaken .....the only thing that I'm really good at ! :P )

• Like 1

I am guarded about the Aerocomfort boot. I has a seam in the midline and therefore is bulky under the J bar when the J bar is in the gear up position -- With the J bar in this position, there is very little space between the J bar and the aileron linkage below the floor. This seems concerning. As for materials - there is a euroleather product that is 4 way stretchable. It is thinner than leather and also acts as a vapor barrier to fumes such as CO. John Breda

I'm very confident that Aero Comfort will produce a very nice product. They do outstanding work. There is no interference with the aileron linkage under the floor with the current way mine is installed. I've jacked the airplane and cycled the gear and the boot doesn't even come close to the aileron controls. I'm in touch with Hector and will post photos when I work with the modified boot.

David

• 2 months later...

I have a newly designed boot that just came in today. I'll be installing it in the next couple of days. I'm having another one made to send to Hector at Aero Comfort for him to review. The all leather boot just isn't going to work correctly. We tried elastic in a few key locations and even modifying the boot hoping to make it work. It was a complete no go.

I'll post a picture or two of what I hope is the final boot installation.

David

The speed brakes can be deployed at any speed, have little effect on pitch, landing or even take off/go around. They can be partially extended as well. I flew a lot of hours in this make and model w/o SBs. They are really sweet.

I assume that would be mine Bob!

I installed the new boot today and it works as advertised. It's not made from all leather this time as the area around the Johnson bar has to be flexible. I'll be sending one to Hector at Aero Comfort next week. Here's a couple of pictures of the new boot installed.

post-7497-0-41650100-1368579418_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-00359700-1368579476_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-56756700-1368579518_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

I also received my set of both the Johnson bar and rudder pedal boots. I would just like to confirm that the airplane has to be jacked up to install the Johnson bar boot?

Absolutely. You're going to have to release and move the bar, probably several times to slip the boot over the bar and to be sure the boot is positioned properly to work at both ends of bar travel. I used contact adhesive to glue the leather flange to the floor once I was satisfied with location.  

• 8 months later...

All:

Very much read this thread with interest. Ordered latest version of boot from Hector at Aero Comfort in TX and installed this weekend.

Overall looks great and gives you plenty of clearance for operation of the bar (thin fabric)

Only a couple small items in terms of lengths and boot location were commented on and sent to Hector and hes already made the centering change so there is more material for the back of the slot.

I have attached pics of how i trimmed things to fit between the rails and tuck up and under the center console plastic.

Note: I have an M20F 1967 model.

PS I think as a final touch an o-ring to keep the boot from creeping up the bar will also be good (i need to add it yet)

Hope this helps ..

Dwight

post-11010-0-83006000-1393196361_thumb.j

post-11010-0-96502000-1393196365_thumb.j

post-11010-0-25957500-1393196371_thumb.j

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, I’m new here- I just bought a project 1964 M20D with retract conversion, so I’m lurking through all the threads...

Prior to buying this plane, I was researching another M20E N number and found something quite interesting in the NTSB database that I think all Mooney owners & mechanics should read:

Johnson bar boot- don’t fly without it!

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
On 6/25/2018 at 2:46 AM, PilotCoyote said:

Hi guys, I’m new here- I just bought a project 1964 M20D with retract conversion, so I’m lurking through all the threads...

Prior to buying this plane, I was researching another M20E N number and found something quite interesting in the NTSB database that I think all Mooney owners & mechanics should read:

Johnson bar boot- don’t fly without it!

Wow... the plot twist of this NTSB report is shocking! 

Thanks for sharing.  

On 2/27/2013 at 12:25 AM, M20F-1968 said:

I am guarded about the Aerocomfort boot. I has a seam in the midline and therefore is bulky under the J bar when the J bar is in the gear up position -- With the J bar in this position, there is very little space between the J bar and the aileron linkage below the floor. This seems concerning. As for materials - there is a euroleather product that is 4 way stretchable. It is thinner than leather and also acts as a vapor barrier to fumes such as CO. John Breda

I used “Eurostretch” to make a boot about 12 years ago. It worked perfectly.

Check the fit and operability of the J-bar before screwing it all together...

between the extra material and a new rug... it took some rug trimming to get the J-bar to work... (for my old C)

Something to keep in mind anyways...

Best regards,

-a-