Cold Weather

I have the same issue on my 231, its been to Wilmars and another shop that knows Mooneys, they all looked at it and tell me everything is in order.  I fine the the force needed to move the wheel is excessive, but only when its cold.  I had to have my trim servo motor overhauled last year and it just occured to me that the force required may have had something to do with it.. It could be this is just Mooney, a few people have mentioned it as an issue.  Funvee you should come to Calgary it was 5C today :]

I had the same problem with my Arrow as well. Even the motor would have a hard time moving it until I pressed the switch up and down a few times in cold weather. The Bravo doesn't seem to have that problem, but I assume the king servo motor must be stronger. Honestly, I haven't touched the trim wheel with my hands in years.

It's not really surprising that it's hard to move cold. Shifting gears in my Honda on cold mornings is a slow-motion affair for the first few miles until the transmission warms up. Oil and grease both thicken up, restricting motion, hence the use of engine pre-heaters. Ask a Northern friend about driving a diesel car in the winter . . . No, don't want one of those, either.

It's not really surprising that it's hard to move cold. Shifting gears in my Honda on cold mornings is a slow-motion affair for the first few miles until the transmission warms up. Oil and grease both thicken up, restricting motion, hence the use of engine pre-heaters. Ask a Northern friend about driving a diesel car in the winter . . . No, don't want one of those, either.

How do diesel cars behave in the cold then?

It's not really surprising that it's hard to move cold. Shifting gears in my Honda on cold mornings is a slow-motion affair for the first few miles until the transmission warms up. Oil and grease both thicken up, restricting motion, hence the use of engine pre-heaters. Ask a Northern friend about driving a diesel car in the winter . . . No, don't want one of those, either. How do diesel cars behave in the cold then?
I'm not sure about cars but my diesel pickup truck runs fine. There are glow plugs to start it, but once running it will take a bit to warm up, but never an issue. Diesel technology has improved significantly over the past decade.

Remove your trim jackscrew, clean all the greese off the screw and the bearings. Re-grease the bearings and screw with Aeroshell Greese #7. It will work just fine in cold weather.
I assume Aeroshell #7 grease is a synthetic product. It would make sense if it was as synthetic lubricants are way less viscosity sensitive.

Diesel aviation engine, anyone???

-a-

They burn Jet-A, often with Prist to prevent freezing. Auto/truck diesel requires heating the fuel and the engine block prior to starting during extreme cold like avaitoreb and our Canadian friends enjoy. Sounds like far too much hassle for me, to say nothing of the extra noise, smell and typically worse acceleration. "I feel the need, the need for speed" in the air and on the ground, and no VW Diesel will do that in either application.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind flying behind a turbine, if I could afford to feed it! Those sure are thirsty buggers . . . . . not to mention, they aren't approved for my Ranger.

Diesel aviation engine, anyone???

-a-

Well if it were not so expensive FW forward and we could put them in our planes I'd like to put a 200HP Delta Hawk turbo/supercharged diesel in my F model. However, I'll never have to worry about that decision the FAA, STCs and cost have taken that choice away.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remove your trim jackscrew, clean all the greese off the screw and the bearings. Re-grease the bearings and screw with Aeroshell Greese #7. It will work just fine in cold weather.

My trim wheel is also very hard to turn in cold weather. Is the "trim jackscrew" the actual trim wheel or something different?

The jack screw is at the other end, the actual part connected to the tail. Annual should include adding grease. If it's still hard to turn, replacing the grease may be a good idea.

Remove the belly, it's easy to find all the way to the rear on the pilot's side.