Mooney Value Change

teethdoc

I think the trend for all planes is generally downward. Talking about C's and E's in particular...who knows. I think the un-upgraded or un-loved examples are falling rapidly (true for all makes) but updated ones in good condition are not dropping nearly as quickly, and selling faster.

If you're shopping for one now, I wouldn't worry about "saving" money by delaying a purchase if that is the intent of your question. You should be prepared to pounce on a good one, though, because there are a lot of dogs for sale that haven't flown enough as the economy went in the crapper and 100LL got really expensive. Infrequent use is a bad thing of course, and these planes wouldn't have been upgraded or likely maintained well either.

Don't expect the downward trend in price of Mooneys to last unless the following occurs...

(1) hours that get put on them. More engine hours = lower price. Restore the engine = restore the price.

(2) price of gas increasing. Price of gas goes down = increase in the price of planes, boats, and corvettes.

Even here Mooneys are better than the others...

(3) they start making new ones. This only affects the newest of used planes. Cs aren't here

(4) interest rates increase. This only works well for those with money already...

Were you planning on buying to fly it or was it an investment?

Buy a plane because renting doesn't work. If renting works for your situation, consider yourself lucky, and rent.

M20Cs aren't going any lower. Nice ones are near $50k, completely worn out are near $20k.

Similar investments are increasing in value as national employment numbers improves.

Look globally. Even though an airplane can be moved around the world, it takes too much effort, fuel, money to make that happen legally. It costs too much money just to move it across the country.

Why wait?

How'd I do?

This is not professional advice. It's worth what you paid for it. YMMV. etc....

For professional advice, speak with David at all American aircraft in Texas. Doesn't cost money to get educated there...

Best regards,

-a-