M20C engine modification.....a dream...but curious

I know there is a mod to put a IO-360 on a C model. If I ever did this I think id just have to get a lopresti cowl at the same time. But I am curious, can you put a stock TIO-360 in instead of just a standard IO-360? Cause i know you can put aftermarket turbo, or turbonormalizer on it but jeeze thats $30,000+ why not get it from the factory already set up!

If I remember correctly it was a "B" airframe with some sort of Russian made APU hooked to a three bladed experimental prop. The guy was from Tennessee, there was no interior except for a pilots seat and the cowling was ROUGH. I think I may still have a photo around here somewhere, if I find it I will get my buddy to scan it so I can post it.

yes, the Turbo Arrow uses the same Conti as the 231, as does the Seneca II+.  The only turbo options for 4-cylinder Lycomings to my knowledge have been aftermarket systems like the Turbo Bullet mod for J's, plus Rajay and M20 Turbo turbo-normalizers.  Only the M20 Turbo system is available today, for the low price of 34 AMU plus installation.

Tornado Alley Turbos (sister company to GAMI) released a system of the Cardinal RG last year, which uses the same engine as the J.  I believe the price is also in the 30-40 AMU range, unfortunately.

A truly turbo-normalized IO-390 would be the cat's meow IMO, but I doubt we'll see one for a long, long time if at all. 

Quote: JimR

How did I miss that?  I went to Oshkosh every year in the 80s from '82 on.  I remember seeing Gene Soucy and Charlie Hillard do a nice low level aerobatic routine with a new 201 and 231.  But I don't remember seeing a turbine Mooney.  I hate it that I missed that . . .

Jim 

I grew up near the airport where Gene Soucy is based, and I learned to fly there as well.  My dad kept his C model there until he sold it, conveniently about 1.5 years before I started flying....   Anyway, I remember seeing some Mooney acro in the aerobatic box adjacent to the airport and we always thought it was some rogue fool screwing around...it very well might have been Gene or Charlie!  They used to practice their Eagles routines there too back in the day.