outdoor mooney

alun

hi,

i am having to wait for hangerage.  any suggestions on where to get the best covers for an outside living 1978 M20J?  In the uk might be best although happy to get shipped from the states if needs be.   I also heard that you can get some sort of cover for the fuel filler caps as then can tend to leak.  anyone got any info on that?

thanks,

al

Sorry, no recommendation for cover, but regarding the fuel caps I can comment. Don't worry about covers; just make sure the 2 o-rings in the caps are fresh. That means changed at least once a year. If they are and the spring tension in the cap is correct, you won't have water leaks from the out side. The o-rings are MS29513-338 and MS29513-010. Make sure BOTH are changed everytime.

Quote: N57039

Sorry, no recommendation for cover, but regarding the fuel caps I can comment. Don't worry about covers; just make sure the 2 o-rings in the caps are fresh. That means changed at least once a year. If they are and the spring tension in the cap is correct, you won't have water leaks from the out side. The o-rings are MS29513-338 and MS29513-010. Make sure BOTH are changed everytime.

The late Norm Smith (the Mooney Miser) sold some gas cap covers.  (I won a pair as a door prize at the MAPAconvention several years ago).  I have only used them a few times since I hangar my plane.  They shouldn't be too hard to duplicate.  If anyone has any interest, I wll send (or post) what I think it would take to build yourself a set.

Don Muncy   d.muncy@sbcglobal.net

Quote: Cruiser

Actually I just blow it out. There's really very little water in that gap. Even if it all went into the tank, it wouldn't be enough to shut down the engine. And even if one gets some kind of covers for the cap, both o-rings should still be replaced at least annually (the smaller ring is often neglected/forgotten because you have to talke the cap locking mechanism apart to change it).

• 3 months later...

If you're going to buy an aircraft cover, I would suggest getting one with silver laminate.  Normally aircraft covers have the fluffy plush stuff to protect the paint/windows, however that fuzzy plush stuff collects dust, grit, etc., and will eventually scratch the hell out of your windows.  Silver laminate does not do that.  In fact, during Operation Desert Storm, the military had to switch from the regular plushy fluffy fuzzy crap to the silver laminate because of the constant sand bombardment.

You can find covers to cover the entire surface of your mooney from http://www.aircraftcovers.com/.  They are also known as Bruce's Aircraft Covers.  If you tell them you're interested, they will send out a full binded information packet.  It has samples of the materials that are used (I think it does, I can't remember for sure) and detailed instructions on what measurements to take and how to take them.  Return the forms to them and they'll start sewing your aircraft cover. 

They have canopy covers, extended canopy covers, wing covers, tail root covers, etc.  You can really cover your entire aircraft if that's what you want to do.

The fuel cap covers I was looking at were for the Cessna/Piper group.  Looks like you're out of luck on that one.  My fuel cap was leaking and just yesterday I switched out the o-rings.  Solved the problem right up.  Instead of using a -338 I used a -339 for a tighter fit --- worked like a charm.

Good luck,

Nishant

Has anybody had experience with the full aircraft covers? I saw one on a plane advertised for sale not long ago. Seemed like a good idea for those that can't find or don't want to pay for hangars in big cities. I understand you can get them fully padded too which might help against the odd hail storm.

Where I am a tie down is $120 and a hangar $500 (monthly). $6K before even leaving the ground is nuts.

For those of you interested in covers for your fuel caps, I have a set that I won as a door prize at one MAPA convention.

I believe are no longer available.  However, I think I can give you everything you need to manufacture a set. 

They are made up of three components. 

First is the covers themselves, which are perfectly circular and approximately 6 inches in diameter.  The size must be large enough to cover an area around the gas cap with enough extra for the sealing material.  Mine are made of some kind of plastic, which is semi-rigid, but a non-bendable aluminum or even a clear plastic like plexiglas or lexan would work as well.  Mine are about 1/16th inch thick, but again, I don't see why something a little thicker wouldn't work as well.

Second is the sealing material.  It is merely a strip of foam rubber like one would buy to fit around a door for weather stripping.  It is sold at hardware stores here and has a self adhesive on one side; you merely pull off a paper strip and adhere it to the outer edge of the cover.  This weather stripping is about 3/16ths inch thick and 3/8ths inch wide.  Neither of these dimensions are critical, but it must be bendable enough to go around the cover without buckling or wrinkling. 

Lastly, the fastener.  Mine use what I call "super velcro", but is more technically called  "recloseable fastener".  One type is "3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fasteners", but there are others.  (Ordinary Velcro is not strong enough).  On mine, the fastener is about 3/8th inch square. (Too small and it won't hold; too large and you couldn't pull them off.)  One side of the fastener is permanently glued to the cover and one half to the lever of the gas cap.

Depending on whether the cover flexes a little or not, you may have to shim the fastenner away from the cover. Ideally, when the covers are installed, the foam is compressed a little to keep water from running under it.

Let me know if you have trouble finding the fastener material.  I either have some left from a project, or can locate some.

Also, let me know if the above description doesn't make sense some way.  I'll be glad to help if I can.

Don

Bruce's Custom Covers, he makes wing and tail covers as well as canopy and engine. His prices are reasonable and you can get any of the covers with foam padding to help against hail damage. I think the entire set was around 1k$ if I remeber right. I have one of his canopy covers and it has been excellent....if this was already mentioned I apologize.