update on leaking roof vent

Did you have to take the headliner completely out to get to the connect point?

no, just a few screws from the overhead plastic panel on the roof. The lights held it up, but I could pull the rear down a foot or so for access. I was really careful b/c I could tell the plastic panel was very brittle. Headliner was never touched.

Where'd the spring tube retainer gooooo?....

The thing that works like a hose clamp may have rusted, broke, and disappeared.

After 47 years the PVC tubing has held up well.

Best regards,

-a-

I don't think that was PVC tubing (??). It was some type of clear rubberized hose. It was discolored and full of a blackish film. It was also very stiff. I was expecting it to be a little flexible. There was a zip tie attached to the end that I removed before taking the pic. Maybe the tubing was replaced? The interior was redone in the late 90's. I ended up cutting the hose and using a piece of plastic used to splice sprinkler tubing to give it extra length. I really couldn't get it to reach without putting a lot of tension on it, and I was afraid it would pull away again.

Clear plasticized PVC tubing, like medical tubing (aka Tygon tubing)... Often used for fish tank air pumps...not home depot type, rigid white PVC tubing used for plumbing...

The flexible tubing has a plasticizer in it that mildly supports growth. Hence the black film appears. As the plasticizer slowly evaporates, the tube becomes more rigid.

To replace the old tube, tie a new tube to the old one and gently pull the other end...tie it well, you only get one chance...

A nylon tie sounds newer than 1965. There are many better official solutions than that such as small hose clamps.

Sorry, my bad...

Or am I still missing the point?

Best regards,

-a-

Clear plasticized PVC tubing, like medical tubing (aka Tygon tubing)... Often used for fish tank air pumps...not home depot type, rigid white PVC tubing used for plumbing...

The flexible tubing has a plasticizer in it that mildly supports growth. Hence the black film appears. As the plasticizer slowly evaporates, the tube becomes more rigid.

To replace the old tube, tie a new tube to the old one and gently pull the other end...tie it well, you only get one chance...

A nylon tie sounds newer than 1965. There are many better official solutions than that such as small hose clamps.

Sorry, my bad...

Or am I still missing the point?

Best regards,

-a-

thanks for the clarification. I'll keep that in mind. I've dumped nearly a gallon of water through the vent, and the interior has remained dry as a bone. At least I know to keep an eye on the area and what to do in the future.

If you keep your plane hangared and your paint is sound, consider never washing it again with water. Just use Plexus on the leading edges and windshield (with a fresh soft cotton cloth) after every flight, and for spot cleaning whereever necessary. I have never washed my Mooney in over six years of ownership. No point introducing moisture to your airframe if you don't have to. My paint is either 25 or 26 years old.

Jim

that was my thought, too. Fortunately, the plane has been hangared for a great deal of its life. Since I wasn't instrument rated, rain wasn't an issue, but now I'm getting close. I was worried about flying through IMC and water being introduced that way.

Nothin' you can do about flying through rain. When I do I just wipe the entire plane down with a damp cloth afterwards, using Plexus on inevitable streaks, as necessary. It takes a little extra time but not too much more.

You've got a real beauty of a Mooney there, Rob. I like my 201's rear seat leg room, ability to run LOP, and 64 gallon fuel capacity, but it sure would be nice to have your manual systems and 0-360. The aesthetics between our planes are a complete and total wash to my eyes, which usually isn't the case with most modified vintage Mooneys.

Thanks, Jim.

It's good news you were able to fix it so easily. Other people will learn from your experience.

-a-

well, it's not the official 100% correct way. I'd like to do what you mentioned and replace it. I'll probably have that done at one of my annuals. I think my fix will last a very long time, but I'd like it to be done right. I just didn't want it leaking in the meantime.