looking to buy '65 M20C opinions wanted

I am new to the forums and new to Mooney. I have been interested in buying a plane since getting my ppl.This will be my first purchase and I am nervous. Recently I started looking at Mooney's for all the reasons many of you have. I came across one at my local field that alot of my flying friends know the history of and recommend. Being new to Mooney's I thought I would post some brief details and my concerns for some knowledgable opinions. The plane is a '65 M20C  with 5300tt , 1380smoh. There is no damage history, the logbooks and maintenance are impeccable (all AD have been complied with), the fuel tanks have bladders, the plane has speed brakes and a new hartzell prop and hub eliminating the AD. I spoke with the two previous A&Ps who have done the last 6 years annuals, and both say the plane is sound and had very little skimped on in maintenance.

Now for my concerns. The airframe total time, it seems to have had regular corrosion treatments and no damage history. Should I be concerned? I can find no record of Sb208b having been completed,  it has lived outside in CA for the last few years. I cannot find , nor can I afford a hanger right now so it will continue to live outside with cover, any issue with this? If at prebuy I have sb208b preformed and a thorough spar inspection and gear swing, and barring any other major issues should I pull the trigger? I can pick it up for mid Twenty. Like I said I'm nervous about taking the leap and would like others opinions.Thanks in advance

Jason

Welcome to the site! I purchased my plane four months after I passed my checkride. The best advise I can give and I'm sure it will be echoed on this site, have a good prepurchase inspection by a mech who has never done any work on the plane. Understand that he WILL find issues. The plane is 47 years old. Nothing that old is perfect. It's just the matter of how bad each issue is. A good engine and airframe should be the top priority (IMO). I was nervous when I purchased my bird (hell, I'm still nervous), but there is no better feeeling than driving out to the airport to take MY plane for a flight. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

My first plane was a 65C.  It makes a good first Mooney for most missions. I paid a few AMUs more  for mine 12 years ago with slightly less engine hours on it.  It was built for light IFR compared to more modern Mooneys.

Protect your finances with what you consider a good pre purchase inspection.

Good luck.

Best regards,

-a-

The TT is no issue.

Find out when and by who the OH was done.

Negotiate the SB208 into the price and make the sale contingent on the inspection.

Make sure the plane has what you want in it, or you will spend a fortune trying to update it.

My opinion only!

Quote: welderjay

I am new to the forums and new to Mooney. I have been interested in buying a plane since getting my ppl.This will be my first purchase and I am nervous. Recently I started looking at Mooney's for all the reasons many of you have. I came across one at my local field that alot of my flying friends know the history of and recommend. Being new to Mooney's I thought I would post some brief details and my concerns for some knowledgable opinions. The plane is a '65 M20C  with 5300tt , 1380smoh. There is no damage history, the logbooks and maintenance are impeccable (all AD have been complied with), the fuel tanks have bladders, the plane has speed brakes and a new hartzell prop and hub eliminating the AD. I spoke with the two previous A&Ps who have done the last 6 years annuals, and both say the plane is sound and had very little skimped on in maintenance.

Now for my concerns. The airframe total time, it seems to have had regular corrosion treatments and no damage history. Should I be concerned? I can find no record of Sb208b having been completed,  it has lived outside in CA for the last few years. I cannot find , nor can I afford a hanger right now so it will continue to live outside with cover, any issue with this? If at prebuy I have sb208b preformed and a thorough spar inspection and gear swing, and barring any other major issues should I pull the trigger? I can pick it up for mid Twenty. Like I said I'm nervous about taking the leap and would like others opinions.Thanks in advance

Jason

It seems to me that the general opinion is high TT is no issue so long as proper PPI is done. So if after I have PPI and SB208 done (where no corrosion is found), is there any issue with her living on the ramp under a Bruce's cover? Should regular inspecton and corrosion x ease my mind, or am I  just being paranoid about the wings falling off and sugar in the tanks. I dont like the idea but there is no available hangers at my homebase (unless I have 90k to drop). 

Lot's of people with Mooneys park them outside.  I'd buy the largest cover you can get and also consider wing covers.  You can add wing covers later as well.  I think a lot of mechanics recommend corrosion X every other year.  Due to low cost of corrosion X you may want to get it done every year.  Good luck with your search.

Outside works and airplane covers are a great help.  Get a cover that extends forward of the windshield enough to fully cover those radio hatches.   The radio hatches are great for access, but they generally leak rainwater if you park outside. 

Don't forget cowl plugs. Birds seem to think the engine is a great spot for a nest. Also ensure you close everything (vents, cowls, etc) after every flight. Try to limit the chance of stowaways getting into your plane. I keep mine outside and If its been longer than a week since I've flown my preflight includes taking off my cowl just to make sure nothing has tried to make a home. Oh and if you have the high speed wing tips birds like making nests there as well (experienced by a fellow mooney owner on my field).