Erratic ship CHT readings

On a recent xc I noticed that my ship CHT gauge was bouncing around (in smooth air) from 375-450 while my JPI 700 had them all consistently at 350-360. I know we all primarily just use the EDM when we have one, but any concern from this?

I think of the analog gauge as a backup should the EDM go out mid-flight. Any chance the EDM is faulty and the ship CHT is correct?

2 hours ago, MoMooneyMoProblems said:

On a recent xc I noticed that my ship CHT gauge was bouncing around (in smooth air) from 375-450 while my JPI 700 had them all consistently at 350-360. I know we all primarily just use the EDM when we have one, but any concern from this?

I think of the analog gauge as a backup should the EDM go out mid-flight. Any chance the EDM is faulty and the ship CHT is correct?

Legally, your ship's gauge is the certified gauge even though it's older technology and an old instrument. Your JPI-EDM,  if it's not a 900 or 930 is advisory only.

• Like 3

Voltages from TCs are incredibly tiny…

1) loose wires

2) broken wires

3) dirty connections

4) oxidized connections

5) worn parts

6) sensor not seated properly in the well

It is important to have working from a paperwork perspective…. The ship’s CHT is a required primary instrument… unless you have an alternative certified primary instrument….

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-