Landing Gear Upgrade

Can someone point me in the right direction for instruction on upgrading the landing gear?

I purchased a M20C serial # 2208 which I think is a 1963 for some reason on the Mooney database serial #2208 is singled out and listed separately for 1963. (Not sure why).

Anyway it has 4 donut nose gear and 5 donuts on the mains, I've read the S.B. and it lists parts and instructions. 

Is there any videos or basic instructions on what parts are required to complete the upgrade??

1 hour ago, Brian2034 said:

Can someone point me in the right direction for instruction on upgrading the landing gear?

I purchased a M20C serial # 2208 which I think is a 1963 for some reason on the Mooney database serial #2208 is singled out and listed separately for 1963. (Not sure why).

Anyway it has 4 donut nose gear and 5 donuts on the mains, I've read the S.B. and it lists parts and instructions. 

Is there any videos or basic instructions on what parts are required to complete the upgrade??

What upgrade are you interested in? 

4 hours ago, Brian2034 said:

Welcome, Brian…

The 8 pages of M20-139A are fairly self-explanatory, but I can see where it would help if the person doing this has previously replaced shock discs.

https://www.mooney.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/SBM20-139A.pdf

There are parts specified to be replaced, both on the nose and main gear.  If your local MSC can’t source them you’re probably relying on sourcing salvage parts.  Which will need close inspection to determine airworthiness.

Keep us updated on your progress.  

• Like 1

Thank you

I have the service bulletin and have read through it a couple of times. 

Just trying to get an idea of the cost to do the upgrade, I'm not worried about the basic nuts and bolts.

Its the Mooney specific items I'm trying to determine for the landing gear upgrade.

She's been sitting 10 years and I'm trying to determine what I need. 

So far we have completed or in the works:

new tires/tubes

brake pads

all new fuel /oil lines engine side

gascolator overhaul

alternator upgrade

new bung fuel caps

oil filter adapter

rudder/ johnson bar boots

door/hatch seals

stainless steel screw kit X 2 for backup

all new scat tubing under the cowl

repaired carb box/carb heat door

repaired carb box to filter boot (probably going to need a replacement boot if there's no other mod available)

fuel tank selector overhaul

Interior is nice (was updated before it sat)

Also replaced the manifold pressure line engine side (the 1/8" aluminum  line was cracked under an adel clamp at the engine mount tubes)

You couldn't see the crack in the line until the clamp was removed, I've read the S.B. for it but you would think they would add a rubber hose between the engine and mount for the movement instead of a coil in the line.

She needs a rigging update, she drops a wing slightly in flight and on the ground the ailerons are not in the neutral position on both wings.

Going to have to do the digital level process for the rigging, unfortunately I'm to far away from the mainstream to obtain a set of rigging boards

If anybody has any other suggestions at what may need to be looked at please let me know.

2 hours ago, Brian2034 said:

Thank you

I have the service bulletin and have read through it a couple of times. 

Just trying to get an idea of the cost to do the upgrade, I'm not worried about the basic nuts and bolts.

Its the Mooney specific items I'm trying to determine for the landing gear upgrade.

She's been sitting 10 years and I'm trying to determine what I need. 

So far we have completed or in the works:

repaired carb box to filter boot (probably going to need a replacement boot if there's no other mod available)

Also replaced the manifold pressure line engine side (the 1/8" aluminum  line was cracked under an adel clamp at the engine mount tubes)

You couldn't see the crack in the line until the clamp was removed, I've read the S.B. for it but you would think they would add a rubber hose between the engine and mount for the movement instead of a coil in the line.

She needs a rigging update, she drops a wing slightly in flight and on the ground the ailerons are not in the neutral position on both wings.

Going to have to do the digital level process for the rigging, unfortunately I'm to far away from the mainstream to obtain a set of rigging boards

If anybody has any other suggestions at what may need to be looked at please let me know.

The Mooney Chronology website shows sn 2208 as smack in the middle of the 1962 production year, which produced sn 1940-2276.  The FAA says that 2208  was exported to Canada?

Take as good a care as you can with the carb intake boot.  They are becoming almost impossible to find.  

Many manifold pressure lines from the firewall forward have been converted to a -2 hose.  Mine hose connects to a reducer on the hardline at #3 cylinder, the MP pickup is off #1 cylinder.

As far as other suggestions… if the interior is in good condition after sitting, it sounds like it was hangared.  That’s a positive.  Still, SBM20-208B should probably be done if it was kept on the ramp for any length of time to check for corrosion of the fuselage tubes (if the windows leaked) and  SBM20-217, inspection of the stub spar for cracks where the flap actuator connects to the flap torque tube.  Small cracks can be invisible.  It helps to pump the flaps all the way down which puts stress on the stub spar and opens up the crack.

There’s quite a lot written on rigging here on this board… some say you don’t need the travel boards.  But, they sure make it a lot easier, I’m sure.

Yes, working my way through the service bulletins.

The Mooney is registered as a 62 but the IPC is strange, I'll try to post a picture.

it shows this on the cover page:

APPLICABLE TO FOLLOWING AIRCRAFT

1962-M20C  S/N 1940 thru 2207, and S/N 2209 thru 2255 (it skip S/N 2208??)

S/N 2257 thru 2296 and S/N 1852

FOR    

1963-M20C S/N 2297 thru 2622, S/N 2208, and S/N 2256 (It includes S/N 2208 with the 1963)

My serial number is 2208 why is the serial number 2208 skipped in 1962 and added to the 1963 list??

16 minutes ago, Brian2034 said:

My serial number is 2208 why is the serial number 2208 skipped in 1962 and added to the 1963 list??

Perhaps you have one of two pulled from ‘62 assembly line and fitted with ’63 updates for fitment checks then moved along with’63 yr model.
 Just a guess on my end 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Brian2034 said:

Yes, working my way through the service bulletins.

The Mooney is registered as a 62 but the IPC is strange, I'll try to post a picture.

it shows this on the cover page:

APPLICABLE TO FOLLOWING AIRCRAFT

1962-M20C  S/N 1940 thru 2207, and S/N 2209 thru 2255 (it skip S/N 2208??)

S/N 2257 thru 2296 and S/N 1852

FOR    

1963-M20C S/N 2297 thru 2622, S/N 2208, and S/N 2256 (It includes S/N 2208 with the 1963)

First, model year is irrelevant.  Second, serial number is king.  Third, even using serial number sometimes gets inconsistent results.  Sometimes it's useful to look at the next or previous IPC or SMM.  And, after these things have been worked on by a string of mechanics, anything is possible.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 11:35 PM, Fly Boomer said:

First, model year is irrelevant.  Second, serial number is king.  Third, even using serial number sometimes gets inconsistent results.  Sometimes it's useful to look at the next or previous IPC or SMM.  And, after these things have been worked on by a string of mechanics, anything is possible.

ANYBODY??

List of the Mooney specific items required to upgrade the older landing gear (5 main and 4 nose disks) to 4 and 3 disks??

I've read the S.B. 

Is there anyone who has done the upgrade and might have a list of the parts?