Glareshield lighting and glass cockpit

Aerodon

I'm looking at my plastic glarehield and have a few questions.  Has anyone made one out of aluminum, is this allowed?  And is the glareshield panel lighting required with a mostly glass panel.  Occasional post light or Nulite on unlit instruments?

Aerodon

On 12/24/2023 at 3:34 PM, Aerodon said:

I'm looking at my plastic glarehield and have a few questions.  Has anyone made one out of aluminum, is this allowed?  And is the glareshield panel lighting required with a mostly glass panel.  Occasional post light or Nulite on unlit instruments?

Aerodon

Hector @ Aero Comfort does an incredible job of recovering the glareshield for a very reasonable cost. I have no idea what the cost is now, but his 2018 price list shows it at $550. I have seen him take ones in horrible shape and make the much nicer than ones in new Mooneys.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 8:34 PM, Aerodon said:

Aerodon

I too had my glareshield sent to Aero Comfort in 2015 and it cost $395 + shipping to have it wrapped in leather back then. The leather still looks great to this day and I’m very happy with it. I highly recommend them.

On 12/23/2023 at 8:34 PM, Aerodon said:

Aerodon

apart from weight and balance, flammability resistance and removing glare,  very few requirements for a glareshield. However, I think the need for some flexibility to install / remove would make it very difficult to make one in one piece aluminum and not having too many "distractions" and hinges on there