I'm a newbie looking to buy an M20F and found a 68 M20G that almost does the job. 

It was converted  to an IO 360 from an early J and has a nice J model cowling to match the engine.  

My question, is it possible to get a field 337 or some other magic trick to Increase the gross weight / useful load of this bird to the F specification? 

The empty weight is 209# over the original specs with all the upgrades turning it into a 2 place plus baggage machine for my family of 4.  

I really like the Johnson bar landing gear and hydraulic  flaps. 

Edited by LetTheLeadOut
Typo

I don’t think you can do a gross weight increase without a substantial amount of work.  I think you would have to get an STC issued by the FAA with all the associated documentation and possibly flight testing.   

The biggest downside to a G is the gross weight is 50lbs less than a C model.  As a G owner I wouldn’t have ever considered something that would substantially increase the weight, in fact I have very consciously tried to reduce the weight of my aircraft at every opportunity.  

I’d be interested in knowing what kind of speed it’s getting.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LetTheLeadOut said:

I'm a newbie looking to buy an M20F and found a 68 M20G that almost does the job. 

It was converted  to an IO 360 from an early J and has a nice J model cowling to match the engine.  

My question, is it possible to get a field 337 or some other magic trick to Increase the gross weight / useful load of this bird to the F specification? 

The empty weight is 209# over the original specs with all the upgrades turning it into a 2 place plus baggage machine for my family of 4.  

buying a G model with an IO360 and paying for a gross weight increase will cover a nice 252 K model with a lot of fuel.

Edited by Niko182
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2023 at 7:56 AM, LetTheLeadOut said:

Where are you located?  I'm starting to toy with the idea of selling my '67F in the fall.  Should know more in the next couple of months.  

You might check with the factory.  The G may have the same structure as the F already, but not the same documentation.  It may not be kile the upgrade in Useful load in the leter J's which had the steel change alteration installed to support the increase in useful load.  

The G and F were made during the same model years and along side each other.  I doubt there are diifferent.  Just a guess and suspicion.  You will need to verify it with Mooney Engineering.

John Breda

• 7 months later...

I am resurrecting this thread to see if anyone knows if the subject aircraft of this thread happened to be N3293F? I have been thrust back into the market sooner than I planned after having a nose gear extension failure in my Arrow. Airframe damage was essentially nil aside from the lower cowl, so I fully expected my insurance to repair. However, their position is that the mechanical damage is too much $$$ due to the prop strike, so they totaled it and cut me a check. This happened on its second flight after completely overhauling the avionics, of course.

Anyway, I have been browsing what is out there, and N3293F landed in my search results on Controller. It appears from the ad to be well cared for, and has the 200hp IO-360 conversion, along with 64-gal tanks. The whole M20G and useful load thing does have me concerned though. I could make due with it, but it seems like a $140K price tag is on the high side if that useful load limitation is for real. Thoughts? Are M20Gs with 200hp conversions to be avoided?

Edited to add link to listing: https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/228767907/1968-mooney-m20g-piston-single-aircraft

Edited by traumamed

For that money - looking at J/Ks make more sense - I’d shop around - you loose useful load on the G… if it didn’t get a useful load update with the conversion,  it’s still a G…

-Don

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hammdo said:

For that money - looking at J/Ks make more sense - I’d shop around - you loose useful load on the G… if it didn’t get a useful load update with the conversion,  it’s still a G…

-Don

Based on the numbers in the ad, I think it is still a G gross at ~2525 lb instead of 2740 lb.

2 hours ago, hammdo said:

-Don

Thanks for the quick answers guys. That was kind of my thought. I got sucked in by the pretty avionics. I'll be totally honest though, I would rather not fly at all than go backwards on my panel. Can Js or Ks be had for sub-140K with at least glass AI/HSI, a current-gen GPS/nav/com, and a coupled, minimum two-axis, (preferably digital) autopilot? And a not totally run-out engine? I fly enough IFR that I consider it a safety thing, not a convenience.

10 hours ago, traumamed said:

I am resurrecting this thread to see if anyone knows if the subject aircraft of this thread happened to be N3293F? I have been thrust back into the market sooner than I planned after having a nose gear extension failure in my Arrow. Airframe damage was essentially nil aside from the lower cowl, so I fully expected my insurance to repair. However, their position is that the mechanical damage is too much $$$ due to the prop strike, so they totaled it and cut me a check. This happened on its second flight after completely overhauling the avionics, of course.

Anyway, I have been browsing what is out there, and N3293F landed in my search results on Controller. It appears from the ad to be well cared for, and has the 200hp IO-360 conversion, along with 64-gal tanks. The whole M20G and useful load thing does have me concerned though. I could make due with it, but it seems like a $140K price tag is on the high side if that useful load limitation is for real. Thoughts? Are M20Gs with 200hp conversions to be avoided?

Edited to add link to listing: https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/228767907/1968-mooney-m20g-piston-single-aircraft

That would be the most expensive G ever sold by a lot.

9 hours ago, traumamed said:

Thanks for the quick answers guys. That was kind of my thought. I got sucked in by the pretty avionics. I'll be totally honest though, I would rather not fly at all than go backwards on my panel. Can Js or Ks be had for sub-140K with at least glass AI/HSI, a current-gen GPS/nav/com, and a coupled, minimum two-axis, (preferably digital) autopilot? And a not totally run-out engine? I fly enough IFR that I consider it a safety thing, not a convenience.

Unlikely that you find a nicely equipped j/k that low. Id look at E, F and C depending on your needs. Should be able to get one with really nice avionics and reasonable engine time for your budget.

• Like 1