Different Garmin 430 question

40 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I pulled the 430, brought it home and spent a hour pushing each button 200 times or more. When I reinstalled it, it seems to work fine. It may be only temporary, but I will give it some time and see how it goes.

You have postponed the expense, but I doubt you have eliminated it. Each time this "fix" will last for less time. For VFR flying that's probably just fine. IFR I'd want more certainty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

I pulled the 430, brought it home and spent a hour pushing each button 200 times or more. When I reinstalled it, it seems to work fine. It may be only temporary, but I will give it some time and see how it goes.

Don, send it to bevan aviation in KICT i just sent my garmin 530w there when my com squelch vol knob was intermittent. They tested everything retuned the nav radios replaced a comm board and replaced the squeltch vol knob and either replaced the screen or cleaned it to brand new in appearance for $900 bucks. I was very satisfied. Call them up. Or fly up there yourself. Dfw to kict was about 1.5 flight time.  

• Like 2

Looks like three options…

1) Work the buttons for the temporary delay of going with one of the next two options…

2) Using Garmin, sending through their dealer network… expect the best….

3) Check in with Jake @ bevan and see if you are comfortable with the lower cost option….

All three get good reviews…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 8:58 PM, Will.iam said:

Don, send it to bevan aviation in KICT i just sent my garmin 530w there when my com squelch vol knob was intermittent. They tested everything retuned the nav radios replaced a comm board and replaced the squeltch vol knob and either replaced the screen or cleaned it to brand new in appearance for $900 bucks. I was very satisfied. Call them up. Or fly up there yourself. Dfw to kict was about 1.5 flight time.  

Another great pirep for Bevan Aviation @Jake@BevanAviation

• Like 1

@DonMuncy Sounds like you are having some issues with the snap domes.  This issue can be resolved by removing the motherboard assembly, removing the old snap domes, cleaning the contacts, and replacing the domes with new ones.  If you would like a rough estimate on repair cost give us a call and ask for Mike.  He should be able to provide lead time and a repair estimate for you.  316-946-4870

• Like 3

On 3/6/2022 at 5:30 PM, DonMuncy said:

I have found some of my 430 buttons don't contact well sometimes on start-up. Common thread, if there is one, seems to be cooler temps or long time between flights, and the affected buttons come back to life a short time after I jump in and start messing with them.

I like the suggestions for the shop refurb. In my case, I'll probably swap it for a 650 when the time comes; might even pay to go sooner while the 430 trade-in / sell values remain respectable.