passive collision avoidance system

rainman

As a relatively new pilot I thought the Zaon passive collision avoidance system sounded like a good idea. So when I was getting some panel upgrades on my recently purchased 1979 231 I had the system added to show on the panel mounted Garmin 696 I have in addition to a G430W.  I was very surprised to discover how many previously unseen aircraft were buzzing about.  Looking out the windows is good, but knowing where to look is a whole bunch better.  The system gives relative location and altitude and whether the traffic is climbing or decending.  It seems to work well. I don't particularly like the relatively large box-type antenna which sits on the glareshield but that's the system.

It is amazing isn't it? I never had any traffic device until I had the panel upgrade which included the GTX33 Mode S transponder. I didn't know what I was missing! It even gives me a target of my own ship sometimes in case I forget I'm flying!!

Have had that system for several years now and I find it very useful.  On a number of occasions something has popped up on my 696 and I called ATC and asked if they saw it too.  Always confirmed it was there.  My only complaint (besides the box on the glareshield) is when you are around an airport everyone that has their transponder on causes a ding, even when they are on the ground.  Not a big deal as I am looking around like crazy when I am around an airport anyway.