No Back Spring for GEC Plessey actuator in ‘85 M20J

spayne59

Love to hear what you hear from LASAR. When I talked to them earlier this year, they didn't have the SB parts kits and wouldn't touch a Plessey actuator. Only suggestion was to get an overhauled Eaton. 

There was some rumor of some new SB parts kits for Plessey actuators being made this year. I called a lot of people, but it was really hard to find any first hand knowledge. Best I could conclude was that someone found a few old inventory somewhere, and the sale of those got lots of people excited. If you hear anything concrete, let me know, I'll jump in line behind you. :-) 

Latest update: Mooney factory advised they are talking to a spring manufacturer about making a batch of (reverse engineered) no back springs for the Plessey actuators.  Still only talk at this point, but a positive sign.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spayne59 said:

Latest update: Mooney factory advised they are talking to a spring manufacturer about making a batch of (reverse engineered) no back springs for the Plessey actuators.  Still only talk at this point, but a positive sign.

Who did you speak with?

A few years ago at about 1,500 hours I want to replace the spring in my ‘92 J.  I had the the plessey actuator and I couldn’t find a spring.  I ended up buying a used Eaton actuator and sending it to laser for overhaul.  This is an expensive way to replace the spring!  Lee

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 4:24 AM, spayne59 said:

Our no back spring is worn and we need another, AOG.  Actuator is the Plessey type and is not the same spring as in other   J models.  I can’t find one anywhere! Can anyone help?

Unless you can accept being AOG for possibly a long time, going with the overhauled Eaton replacement from LASAR that you have reserved (congrats on finding one!) may be your fastest, albeit much more expensive way to get flying again.   For my J model the solution was to replace the Plessey actuator and spring with a low time Eaton/Avionics Products actuator and install it with a new spring, one that is similar but different from the non-available Plessey spring.

If the Mooney factory does contract to produce more Plessey springs, that would clearly be the most cost effective option many owners, so the question becomes how long you are willing to wait? While investigating for options, consider pickling the engine to prevent corrosion from the developing and possibly leading to spalling of the cam and/or lifters and thereby creating another problem. 

Good luck and hope you get your J to flying soon -  Hank

24 minutes ago, FLYFST said:

If the Mooney factory does contract to produce more Plessey springs, that would clearly be the most cost effective option many owners, so the question becomes how long you are willing to wait? While investigating for options, consider pickling the engine to prevent corrosion from the developing and possibly leading to spalling of the cam and/or lifters and thereby creating another problem. 

Many large cities have spring fabrication shops to support local industry.   I suspect having one duplicated as an OPP would be less expensive.   Having an extra or two made at the same time would probably make it even more cost effective.   It sounds like that's what Mooney is doing, anyway.

Questions for the group. I’m considering working on an FAA/PMA no back spring for the Plessey actuator. If Mooney is planning to get a run made then it doesn’t make sense for me to duplicate the process. Do we think Mooney will carry through? Should I invest in the time and money to get them made and certified? 
Thanks,

David

28 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Questions for the group. I’m considering working on an FAA/PMA no back spring for the Plessey actuator. If Mooney is planning to get a run made then it doesn’t make sense for me to duplicate the process. Do we think Mooney will carry through? Should I invest in the time and money to get them made and certified? 
Thanks,

David

I have no idea the costs involved in a project like that but I would say, given the state of Mooney right now, it would be a safe bet to continue.

29 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Thanks,

David

I think none of has a crystal ball. Why not call Mooney and see if you can work a deal with them to be their parts supplier for this? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Thanks,

David

Just my opinion, I would echo pt20l and contact mooney but seeing the instability of the company if it was my money I would still continue with the Pma process. 
We just don’t know what the future of the company will be once it is sold, It’s sad to say but I think mooney is on borrowed time right now. 

4 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Thanks,

David

Additionally you might want to survey the fleet and see how many already switched to the Eaton model because it seems there are already several that commented in this thread.  How many Plesseys still exist?

2 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Additionally you might want to survey the fleet and see how many already switched to the Eaton model because it seems there are already several that commented in this thread.  How many Plesseys still exist?

That’s a good point although it might be difficult to do. What I would like to know is what models and years of Mooney’s were they installed on? Are there more than one specific Plessey part number of the actuator?

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

That’s a good point although it might be difficult to do. What I would like to know is what models and years of Mooney’s were they installed on? Are there more than one specific Plessey part number of the actuator?

Thanks,

David

Don’t let me be the Debbie Downer and stop you though, I’m just glad someone is actually interested in making parts for us!  The NBS is probably a great place to start.  I think the Ram air boot might be another possibility, but I have no idea how difficult that one would be to manufacture.  @GEE-BEE AEROPRODUCTS mentioned making it in silicone but he was talking about tooling and preorders and it didn’t sound like it could happen without someone stepping up with a large order.

Edited by Ragsf15e