Need PIREP for installed Aspen E5 IFR

Looking for feedback for folks currently flying behind the basic IFR Aspen E5 unit. Most of the stuff I see online is from ‘19 including the crash and reset reports. Especially with the latest updates on the intro model, I am interested in real world experiences including use in IMC. I am considering pulling my two AV30’s and would like to know if the Aspen product is more reliable. The Pro stuff is cool but I don’t need the extra capability, Ill use portables for screen size/cost. A chance to see in action would be great for anyone in the OH or West TN area. Appreciate the help. From what I’ve gathered, most folks happy with the AV30’s don’t fly IMC, I bought my Mooney to go places...

Nothing like a couple of red Xs to build confidence in your IFR instrumentation...

It takes a skilled marketing manager to deal with that one...

I assume whatever the cause of the Xs was cured by the engineering team...?

Stand by for the happy E5 users... there has got to be a few around here...

Best regards,

-a-

I actually really like the aspen screens. However, I feel they have a lot of competition right now. Are you happy with your current autopilot?  If not without question I’d be looking at dual G5’s or 275’s.  Not because they are superior displays but because they connect to a nice AP. 

I don't see the red x complaints anymore. Hopefully it's been resolved. I personally haven't had any issues on my screens in forever. 

I really like my aspen displays. I have an stec 50, and they work well together. If you plan to go with a Garmin AP at some point, might as well go with dual G5. Otherwise the aspens are good units. 

• Like 1

Somewhere along the way...

Everyone gets to decide...

Big G... or the other guys...

:)

The other guys can have some pretty good things... but integration is at your own risk...

If you like building your home stereo system, knowing every component...  then other guys is probably really good....

Big G has a good audio panel...

The other guys make a really good audio panel...

Big G has a good transponder...

The other guys make a really good transponder...   

PP thoughts only, not a systems integrator...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

After the AD on the older Evo 1000 displays, I am not confident in the E5s as my understanding is they use very similar software and hardware. The primary issue I have had with the Evos and E5s is the ADHRS solution is heavily weighted to favor Pitot/Static data over GPS-INS and IMUs in the box. This almost always means that if it cannot resolve airspeed you get red Xs on every single output which I find unacceptable for an instrument I am supposed to trust in IMC. Over the years I have 8 failures of Aspens including two E5 quite recently. This being said I would still prefer an E5 to an AV30. I won't sit here and tell you dual G5s are better but that is what I put in my airplane.

GI-275>G5>E5>AV30

• Like 1

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

Stand by for the happy E5 users... there has got to be a few around here...

Best regards,

-a-

Don't get me wrong, I like the Aspen E5 unit.  But when making my initial purchase, I simply missed the value proposition that comes from the redundancy of the 2nd G5.  Thats not insignificant IMO.  And the reality is that if you want a new autopilot, most sensible roads lead to the GFC 500

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the Aspen E5 unit.  But when making my initial purchase, I simply missed the value proposition that comes from the redundancy of the 2nd G5.  Thats not insignificant IMO.  And the reality is that if you want a new autopilot, most sensible roads lead to the GFC 500

Unless you are born unlucky and have a pre ‘65 C or E ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJMac said:

Im a proud member of that club holding out hope Garmin pulls off the 64 and older certification this year 

I was hoping stec would approve the 3100 for the mooneys.  With all the garmins being installed, they're probably less likely to commit now.

• Like 1