Mooney Interior Redo

rainman

I'm new to the Mooney world having just gotten my 231 a couple of months ago. I need to redo the interior as it's original from 1979.  I'm in San Antonio and have heard great things about a local company Aero-Comfort.  The price seems good, has anyone worked with them. The photos I've seen look fantastic.

Coincidentally I am going through the process with them right now.  Maxwell is doing the install.  Aero Comfort is very good to work with, top notch service and communication.  I went there based upon this message board and their reputation especially with Mooneys.  Here is the first pictures of the seats.  I have not seen them in person yet.  

post-7136-13468140518541_thumb.jpg

Quote: rainman

I'm new to the Mooney world having just gotten my 231 a couple of months ago. I need to redo the interior as it's original from 1979.  I'm in San Antonio and have heard great things about a local company Aero-Comfort.  The price seems good, has anyone worked with them. The photos I've seen look fantastic.

If you schedule it in advance, the cost is less to have Aero-Comfort do the install, rather than Don's A&P's who get quite busy also, plus there's the shipping costs both ways and the little extra pieces that are usually missing.

Anytime a complete redone interior is shipped, the chances of small pieces being misplaced on, either end, is high. Screws, covers, carpet, trim, whatever. No big deal, because Jose and the guys at Aero-Comfort always folow-up immediately, no matter who was a fault.

These guys can't be beat, really! ThumbsUP  Oh, and thanks, Mike.

Rainman, in the interest of a balanced perspective, there is really nothing special about our Mooney interiors that you need an "expert". Everything from plastics to carpet to leather can be very easily and economically redone. All at a fraction of what some "experts" want to charge! I'd save the big bucks for your panel and/or engine if and when you need it!  Just my opinion based on my experience and YMMV. Check out my gallery and pm me for details if you want.

Allsmiles is right. Airtex makes a nice midlevel interior and, as Jim R. has done, you can paint the plastic.   It certainly isn't going to be Aero Comfort quality, but it is a nice improvement from 1979. If you are interested in spending hours and hours.

I actually used fiberglass cloth, .030 thick ABS pieces, and ABS cement to repair plastic cracks and holes.  It takes time, but can be done.

Thanks guys, my 1979 Mooney 231 has a low time factory new engine, just had the annual two months ago, the paint is only five years old, and the panel upgrade starts next week.  I'd like to upgrade the interior soon so I can enjoy the comfort starting soon.  I plan on keeping the plane for the forseeable future and wanted to get on with the upgrade.  Great photos and advise.  I'll check on some of the options today. I look forward to meeting some of you in the future. Thanks!

Rainman, one the hardest things for me was chosing colors.  Aero-Comfort will send you a sample kit with the materials for the panel covering, the seats and the carpet.  How many shades of brown and grey are there!  I just hope the color combos I chose all match up when blended together in volume.  Hope to post new interior pics next week.

Wow guys.  Those interiors are some of the best I've seen.  I remember seeing a 231 on Barnstormers a while back when I was looking that had Porche style seats & side panels in it and thought at the time that was the nicest interior I have seen.  However, Aero Comforts work is just awesome.  I know working with them just on the yokes was a breeze and I can't wait to save up enough money to have them do the rest of my plane.  Kudos to you guys.  Aero Comfort..............There is no substitute.