M20C Gear Collapse - Need Parts/ Help

Quote: DaV8or

That's what I was thinking! Unlike the one piece belly, the Top Prop does give you a performance increase. For me it would be a no brainer. For 3 grand extra, I'd get no AD inspection, all new everything including the hub and an increase in performance.

I got a quote for the M20C two weeks ago from a mid-west prop shop:

Hartzell has a couple of replacements for this prop, a 2 blade and a 3 blade, in their Top Prop Kits.  The Hartzell Top Prop Kits come with new prop and spinner assemblies. 

2 Blade prop:  HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497

This is has a 74 inch diameter, with scimitar blades.  The TBO is 2400 hours/6 year, whichever comes first, and weighs 62-64 lbs.   The prop reduces noise, will have the same or better climb performance as your old prop,  improved cruise efficiency and  longer TBO.

Price $8,500.00 plus freight

3 Blade prop:  HC-C3YR-1RF/F7282

This is a 74 inch diameter, with 2400 hours/6 year TBO whichever comes first and weighs 71 lbs.   This prop will have better take-off and climb performance, dramatically lower noise.

Price  $9,500.00 plus freight

I am sticking with the $5,000 OH prop from Memphis.  One thing is, cost is a factor.  However I am not real concerned that the old hub will detract from the value of the airplane.  It will have a 0 TSOH Prop and a 0 SBOH engine.  Most of the Mooneys of this era still have the old style hub.  Could I increase the value with a Top Prop, probably.  But honestly not more than what the overall market value is for these Mooneys.  IMHO the one thing that would increase the value is the Instrument Panel.  It is slightly upgraded from stock but not as much as I would like.

A non "B" hub prop is going to be an automatic 5K deduction from the value of your plane, I looked at several and the AD hub prop is a deal killer.  The prop shop is going to laugh as they are selling you a couple of blades and a hub that has zero value for 5K.  Especially given the Hartzell top prop is 8K laid in and has a longer TBO time plus adds performance.  You ought to be able to get a B hub hartzell for 5K, keep looking.

If your blades were bent beyond repairable limits, your hub is SCRAP. If you need to buy a hub and two new blades, you might as well buy the two blade Top Prop. You can order them directly from Hartzell if you wish. Right now they are about a week out, lead time wise.