Emergency Gear Crank Cable 560247-501.

58 minutes ago, Hank said:

Will this work on the window-crank style, or only the lawnmower-pull style gear extension? I have the former, you have the latter.

I was thinking he described his as the circular crank on the side of the cabin next to the pilot’s left knee?

2 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

I was thinking he described his as the circular crank on the side of the cabin next to the pilot’s left knee?

I thought the Js had the lawnmower pull behind the front seats. The vintage birds have the window crank on the sidewall. I'd like a spare sidewall cable myself, there's some wear on the far end of my cable. 

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

I thought the Js had the lawnmower pull behind the front seats. The vintage birds have the window crank on the sidewall. I'd like a spare sidewall cable myself, there's some wear on the far end of my cable. 

The 1977 Js have the old crank style mechanism.

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

Yeah, I agree with you, maybe I was wishful thinking that he was solving the problem for those of us with the vintage cranks, but you might be right.

2 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

So does it look like you can basically build one of these by having the parts machined and installing a new cable?

I don't have to machine anything. I removed the ends and will re-crimp them on.

I'm just replacing the cable housing which is an exact replacement, and the flex core. The flex core is not an exact replacement, but it is dimensionally and functionally equivalent.

The core in the picture is an exact replacement, but it is wound the wrong way. The manufacturer no longer makes the CW wound cable.

image.jpg

I was not able to harvest the end ferrules, so I had a machine shop friend make some new ones. The proper cable came in. I’m waiting on new jaws for my crimper, so I can crimp the ferrules on. I didn’t trust re-crimping the ends, so I drilled a little hole in them and soldered them on. I will crimp them too, belt and suspenders. Should be done this weekend.

9B634EE0-8615-4487-9762-7D57B652FE14.jpeg

863989B6-C1C7-4D4F-9182-14100413C90A.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I was not able to harvest the end ferrules, so I had a machine shop friend make some new ones. The proper cable came in. I’m waiting on new jaws for my crimper, so I can crimp the ferrules on. I didn’t trust re-crimping the ends, so I drilled a little hole in them and soldered them on. I will crimp them too, belt and suspenders. Should be done this weekend.

That is some nice work!

I’m happy to report that the cable went in beautifully. The bad part was the engagement lever and cable. I’m sure it was the root cause of all these headaches. It hasn’t been right since I’ve owned this plane. The cable was replaced when repairing a gear up before I owned it. I decided to make it right. That only took about 6 hours… It works great now. 

Since making a new drive cable, lubing the crank gearbox and the crank. It is so easy to crank down. I can spin it with my index finger.

• Like 2