Aviation Videos -- Audio How To?

I know a few of you have made aviation related videos. I have as well. I decided to make more videos and upgrade my GoPro 2 to a couple of GoPro 5 Blacks. The GoPro 2 audio cable that I had been using was really robust and the audio quality was exceptional. I bought what I thought was an audio kit for the 5 Blacks and am having a bear of a time figuring out how to get it to work correctly.

I purchased this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT3Q50Y/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Visiting the GoPro site, I see what I bought was an external microphone adapter that GoPro sells for connecting to external mics and that Nflightcam attaches their audio cable to it. I found one Amazon commenter who said Nflightcam told him to use the line in for the audio input (like GoPro provides several options for mics when you connect the adapter). Like the commenter, I found the volume was extremely low. Haven't put it through the editor yet to see how much I can boost it. There are a number of other input settings (Std Mic, Power Mic, Power Mic+, etc), but they all have an annoying background noise. In addition, I found that when using the USB-C charging cable input, it would charge if the GoPro was off, once powered, the battery was no longer charging.

Here is an example video using one of the audio input settings. If you listen closely, you can hear the background static. I will post a couple others as well when I upload them.

Chris I’d like to get with you I just bought a new Go pro black and am lost in proper operations, as you are aware I’m not an electrical wizard, if there not a computer and adding machine m lost

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danb said:

Chris I’d like to get with you I just bought a new Go pro black and am lost in proper operations, as you are aware I’m not an electrical wizard, if there not a computer and adding machine m lost

Looks like another lunchtime meet up is needed. How about we trade retirement planning for GoPro ops? :)

• Like 1