3m5 Moontown

I finally got the chance to take my Mooney to Moontown  the density altitude has been 2600 feet after noon .  I was light on fuel and by myself and had no problems . The runway is well manicured and firm in spite of all the rain this last week. I've had no problems landng short field but was somewhat aprehensive about getting the thing off. Well , no problems and rather surprised at the performance. I watched two loaded Cessnas with belly pods take off to the mountains. Their run was 12 seconds to break ground. I lost track of time and broke ground before half the field was used. Everything felt right just like the old days!

http://moontownairport.com/

Have a great hoilday!

Looks like a great place to hone short-field technique. Appears to be plenty of margin beyond 2180ft stated on AirNav, little in the way of trees to contend with. Looks like fun! When looking at the Google Earth image, one can see an older Mooney parked at the tie-downs next to what appears to be an older Bonanza... Good to get out and push your comfort zone a bit. Well done! 

Moontown is an awesome strip.  They have a vintage Aeronca Champ there that rents for $35/hour or something like that, and a wizened instructor named Ken who practically gives his services away for $18/hour.  It's a great place to get some tailwheel training and camaraderie. I used to go there all the time in my Warrior. Haven't been in my J yet...hearing too many stories about lower gear doors and other reasons people don't like to land J-models and up on grass strips. Probably just need to scoff at them and go do it!