1/2 Pilot Thread. No IFR and Happy

Why no IFR?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Why no IFR?

Having spent many hours being an IFR pilot, then going back to a VFR pilot and now returning to IFR, I have to say this about it; flying in clouds does increase your risk quite a bit. So does flying at night, flying over wide spread undercast, over large bodies of water, urban areas, forests and over rugged mountians. If you're in a cloud, you do have to be on top of it or you can get in trouble pretty fast. I have flown all my IMC hours without an autopilot, but am very grateful to have one now.

I can recall two times flying VFR that the IR came in real handy. Once was flying at night and I hadn't gone into a cloud or anything, but the horizon just vanished due to haze and there were no lights to reference. I switched to instruments and all was fine. Another time I was scud running with my brother just for the sake of going flying and yeah, we went IMC while exploring how far we could go. Again, no big deal, I switched to instruments and turned around and we packed it in for the day.

Having said all that, if I had not had the IR, I would not have pushed those flights as far as I did. I knew I could always fall back on instruments to get out. I don't fly hundreds of hours each year and I rarely need to be anywhere, so while I intend to return to the clouds, I don't plan on doing any "hard" IMC. Busting in and out of cloud layers and that's about it. I also avoid night flying now too. Maybe I'll change my mind in time, but I don't trust airplane engines very much. Every pilot should try to know their limitations. If you choose to remain VFR only, that's great and I totally understand, just beware the scud run and beware the night, they can bite you.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flying, either VFR or IFR is serious business, and both have inherent risk. I'd rather fly with a VFR pilot who has good judgement and situational awareness, than with a IFR pilot who possesses neither.

Flying with an IFR guy who has both is my, and your, best bet. A IFR rated guy can fly VFR, but the reverse isn't true...legally anyway. Rationalize all you want, getting an IFR ticket will make you a better pilot, use it or not, and you can still look out the window ;-)

Getting a ATP will raise you to a yet higher level.

Quote: JimR

Speaking of "Dick" - I read last year I think, that Richard Collins who no longer flies as much IFR as he used to now feels he needs to practice in order to stay current.  He states that in order to feel current he must do his 6 approaches, etc at least once a month, and also across several airports to practice the whole system, and enroute phase etc.  I think he is quite right that the every 6 months system of the FAA currency is just that, legal mins and not a good idea to get that low.

Since I read Collin's advice, I have taken his advice to heart and I try to keep up with one training flight per month in which I tour around with a safety pilot doing 6 approaches, holds, enroute and all to keep extra current.  Since I fly very little actual IMC, maybe once every two months at most, then that doesn't figure into my own self assessment as to if I don't need to do the Collin's method.

Quote: danb35

.....you may already have those skills (whether from other dual instruction, work on your own, innate ability, or whatever), but you just haven't demonstrated them (along with the appropriate paperwork) to an appropriate examiner.

Quote: aviatoreb

Speaking of "Dick" - I read last year I think, that Richard Collins who no longer flies as much IFR as he used to now feels he needs to practice in order to stay current.  He states that in order to feel current he must do his 6 approaches, etc at least once a month, and also across several airports to practice the whole system, and enroute phase etc.  I think he is quite right that the every 6 months system of the FAA currency is just that, legal mins and not a good idea to get that low.

Since I read Collin's advice, I have taken his advice to heart and I try to keep up with one training flight per month in which I tour around with a safety pilot doing 6 approaches, holds, enroute and all to keep extra current.  Since I fly very little actual IMC, maybe once every two months at most, then that doesn't figure into my own self assessment as to if I don't need to do the Collin's method.